Big Catfish Livewell

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Branj796, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was wondering how big a fish I could hold in a 50 gallon livewell. I have a 50 and a 30. I just cant go any bigger but want to be able to keep some big fish in tournaments. What is the biggest fish in your experience I could keep in each livewell. I also have a hoop net looking net that can hold anything I can catch but dont want to stress the fish when drifting. If any of you have used these nets that hold fish how well do they work for keeping big fish alive? Thanks

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    My cousin put a 25lber in a 20 gal. I would bet you could put a pretty big darn fish in a 50 gal:eek:oooh:. You get a fish that you can't put in a 50gal livewell, send pics:wink:

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    my tourny live well is 110 gal never full thou ariator and oxygen is ur key dang i need spell check :eek:oooh:

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Your problem is not how many gallons a live well is it's the shape. Take a 55 gal. drum. Stand that drum up on end and it's not a very good shape for a 30+ pound fish. Now take that same 55 gal. drum and lay it on it's side. Fill that sucker up and a 30 pounder fits with ease. Catch my drift? Catfish are long you don't want to start making them bend in a U. You want that fish to be relaxed and comfortable.

5. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Length is not a problem. I have al large rectangular container. I just cannot weigh in fish early so sometime I am gonna catch a 70 pound fish and have to keep it alive for a several hours. I just wondered if anyone had a livewell of this size and had any experience. I know someone on here could share some insite.

6. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    used to use a 100 gallon horse trough with 60 to 70 gallons of water 48 inches long on bottom approx.24 inches wide. had 5 fish limit over 150lbs trick is to pump water a lot and aerate. Hope this helps