big catfish info near thurmont MD

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by KTK9804, Dec 20, 2009.

1. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    I will be living in thurmont MD next the summer and i am looking some help finding big cats within about an 1 hr of there. I now live in eastern ohio and spend a lot of time on channels and flats...looking for areas with 30in plus cats are common...thanks for any info

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The potomac river isnt very far from there.

3. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You are going to real close to one of the best blue cat rivers in the US. The Potomac has been kicking out steady 40's+ for 5 years and with the size of the river, it doesn't get the pressure that the James and other local areas get. Welcome!!!

4. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    when you are talking about the Potomac River. Would the area were Harper's Ferry good for Blues or is that to far up stream. I'll be at Catoctin Mountain Park working...and its only about an hour drive from there. Also is it easy to fish from the shore wont have a boat. thanks for your help hopefully will get me my first blue this summer

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There are few blues up by Harpers Ferry and few flatheads but a real good population of channels and bullheads. You have to go south to DC and farther to get into blues consistantly on the Potomac.

6. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Best bet without a boat for a trophy fish, make a trip to Fort Washington, you can fish from shore at the light house, water ranges from 5' to 60' from shore. With the right equipment and bait a new MD state record could be taken there.

7. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    the area around harpers ferry is awesome channelcat fishing but has alot of rocks and gets pretty scary in a boat best to fish from the bank,but to get into the big blues got to go below dc

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I am about 5 min south of you on Rt 15 shot me a pm and i can feel you in on all you need to know about the big blues on the potomac , I have boated a few 1,000 in the 20 to 60lb range over the last few years. We also have tournaments most every weekend from now until late oct maybe something you would like to get in on as well.