big catfish in private lakes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by 1catfishkilla, Oct 24, 2009.

1. 1catfishkilla

1catfishkilla New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi everyone , i am wondering if you can get big cats off the banks at private lakes, or if you need to be in a boat?
    when would a big cat feed vs a 2-5 lb cat ???
    just started fishing and am curious, i know the place where i am fishin has got to have big cats

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    welcome to the BOC Jason,, and sure you can catch some hogs from private lakes. I have a couple that I go to every once in a while that are full of huge catfish. early morning ,late afternoon the big boys are moving pretty good and you can also get them during the day as well. Look and read some of the threads on fishing from banks /small lakes and ponds and the like , you will find plenty of info.. Good luck on your new lake..:wink:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Jason. If there is big cat's in your lake/pond there is no reason why you can't catch them from the bank.Bigger cats like roaming the banks in late evening's /early morning looking for food.So with at least one pole I would fish it fairly close to the edge.Say 10 /15ft out.Best of luck and have fun. Again:0a25:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    like MRR said nto too far out..since i may fall out of my chair or something stupid at any given time i like to either cast waaay down the bank but not very far out or cast otu and walk my pole up the banka good ways to distance myself from the bait. good luck

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard to the BOC Jason.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Heck yeah. If the lake has alot of baitfish (gills, sunfish, small shad, ect) hit the shallows up in the coves for flatheads in the evenings.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well if there are guys like me in the area you might have some. dont know if im wrong but I put big fish in my apt private lake all summer ranging from 6lbs to 34LBs so there might be some in your lake. There was already big carp and turtles in my lake, I just evened out the playing field lol

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If they are there you can catch them. Welcome to the BOC.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Jason!:0a25:.Smaller lake,you,ll probaly do just as good if not better from the bank.You should be able to cast to most of the spots you wanna fish.:wink:

10. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    The fish in my avatar came from my private 3/4 acre pond and was caught from the bank using skipjack herring. Welcome to the BOC Brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have fished some private likes that was stocked with channel about 30 years ago, loved fishing them.

I used what I called my number one killer for them. Perch heads. Never failed me. Dont expect to catch the smaller ones. I never used a boat in a pond, for a couple of reasons. One, any sound you make, will carry a long way in a pond, and the fish arent use to it versus being in a huge lake where they get constant boat traffic. 2. I can move around easier on foot and be a lot more comfortable on the bank.

I like to fish at night for the bigger ones, or early morning. They will usually be close in. Keep the light to a minimum or dont use one.