Big catfish babble

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 4, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Will the biggest fish be caught from Dams where the forage base is known to be huge and constant, or from the best impoundment that has excellent forage and growth rates? Maybe from any river or lake that has ample forage, but that has little fishing pressure.

I have fished some stretches of river most would say are not the best areas as far as structure goes, but my thinking is that fishing areas that have less pressure increase chances for big fish and definitly for a chance at the biggest fish.

I wouldnt want to think that record fish can only come from major known locations as it might take my enthusiasum away from working my own waters with vigor.

No matter where that fish lives, like all predators it becomes more vulnerable at certain times. Too little food makes it move to find more, sudden feed frenzie may put it at vulnerable locations, spawning,wintering and the ever changing enviromental and forage/baitfish cycles that it reacts to.

2. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I think the biggest fish are caught out of a wet mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. Beyond that I have no idea.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I agree. The ones I caught were in a mixture of one part hydrogen, and 2 parts oxygen.

Good fishin to ya!

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi James I fish some of the same streches of river You do and I feel that the Missouri River between the mouth of the Platte and the Big Souix River at Souix city holds a Record fish just last year a #100 pound blue came from Bellevue Nebr. on the Iowa side. I have personaly taken a #71 puund Flathead on the Missouri River at the Mouth of the Little Souix in 2004 and lost one that was bigger last year trying to get it in the boat. So they are there it's just a matter of time and with a little luck and the right gear one will show up. Then again maybe the person that catches it will just snap a picture and turn it loose and We will never know. But I for one KNOW that they are there. Good luck in your quest! Your Friend and BOC.Brother J.D.

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    John,
    we can also reflect back to the early days of all those reports of big fish in our area. However many years of commercial fishing and loss of the natural flood plains and backwaters changes things. But the flood of 93 and C-fishings stopping, they should have recovered by now you'd think.

So either we do have potential biggest ones, and we aint found em yet?!
    Or there simply are very few cause were such good fishermen. Ha HA.

Other thing- We have unchannelized waters beyond Sioux City to dam and if they spend summer there they must travel past us. We just have to key into those times.

I allways figured fish could/might travel hundreds of miles a year up/down our river, but havent found tracking studies to verify that.

I was looking at the cats from the Ohio and that are and they sure look clean and well fed! They dont look all "beat up" like I am used to seeing. Maybe its the depth difference(?).
    Hmmm got me wondering.

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I have a sense that we fishermen are sorta redefining how we fish big rivers as compared to yesteryear anyway.
    With the advent of better electronics and our abillity to better define and share information about river structure and how these fish thier prey relate to it in various conditions, we are changing the sport this decade alone.

Not to take anything away from the smart cat men of the past, but there are just so many people "waking up" to the grand adventure of chasing these fabulous fish!

Hey thats what bass fishing did some years back right?
    The bass fishermen have studied and perfected that art to a fanatic level. Amazing! And the money/studies devoted to it-wow!

I see catfishing possible evolving further. Not to my liking as I love it just the way it is-just that change is the only constant.