Big Cat landing nets - Be prepared

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 26, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Of course,when you go out after big cats you consider your gear.Is it big enough?Is it tough enough?We are paying attention to the right things....terminal tackle(hooks,knots,line,etc.)and your fishsticks(r&r).Great!One factor that alot of folks don't consider is your landing net.

Imagine yourself with a monster at the bank or boat,tailslappin'and rollin' like a big ol' gator,and your heart is poundin' and the adrenaline is coursin' through ya!Your buddy realizes that you have a pondfish sized net to try to get a fish that is 4' or more feet long into! As the Hulkster says,"WUTCHA GONNA DO,NOW,BRUTHEEEEERRRRR?!!?" LOL :D Even worse would be no net at all. Anyway.....my point is don't go after somethin' you ain't prepared to handle.Be sure to have a XXL landing net on board.I have a Frabill retractable Saltwater model.It gets the job done,but one day I hope IT is not enough net!!! :D Just a thought about something that a few folks might not consider until they've lost the biggun! ;) ;) ;)

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now why didn't I think of that? Great post little brother!!!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I was just sitting here thinking about all the fish my dad and I lost when we first started out catfishing....and all because we didnt have the proper net....well I hope I prevented that from happening to anyone else.... :)

You cant go to a gunfight with a knife..... ;) ....LOL

Zakk :)

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    In other words, Don't take a knife to a gun fight! LOL!

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i learned about the net the hard way. three years ago i had the new state record on mabe even the world record. i had a 12 inch net on board. after getting the monster worn down enough to get him to the boat his head would not fit in the net. my wife was holding the line and when she saw how big he was she moved back and pulled the line over the side of the boat. he smacked his head against the boat a few times and was gone.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Katmaster, you hit me where it hurts. I knew it would happen some day, and about 2 weeks ago, I caught a really nice blue, my biggest. I fought that rascal to the boat, moving other rods while I handled him, only to find that all I could get into the net (which had always been plenty big before) was his head and 'shoulders'. I finally managed to get a grip on his tail so he wouldn't slide out, then dragged him into the boat.
    A larger net is on my list.
    Thanks - good advice for some of us!

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You also want to make sure your net is also strong enough to get the job done, look what the flathead in My avatar did to My old net

Attached Files:

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I alway's have 2 nets on board my boat. A medium size for typical size fish and a very large one for big Flatties or other real big fish. The person reeling in the fish decides which net is needed and the other person gets the proper net ready and brings in the other lines if necessary. Works out real well.

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Brad, I would say that yellow made the worst of your net there. LOL, TIme for a bigger net. Those big frabills are awesome. CUmmings has some that are nice as well.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Good advice if you are a netter.
    I'm a pawer. I just jam my hand in their mouth and start grabbing lip.
    It's part of the catching to me.
    Skinned knuckles heal.

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm with Mark on this one. Knuckles will heal and if your a real baby wear a glove..

A good net that can handle a 25lber is like 50 bucs. That isn't worth to me. I think I could buy something alot more useful with 50 bucs.

If your on the land just wade out a bit, if your on a boat lean over stick your hand in his mouth and pull. At this position it's unlikely that the fish will bite down. I don't like but my hand into it's gill area for any reason what so ever. I think it hurts them no matter what you do. If your gonna keep him then I guess it's ok but more than likely if you have to reach down to pull the fish outta the watter you don't want to eat him.

Tip: For those people who like to use a net Fill long end with foam it will help it to float when you accidently drop it!

For the little cats it is sometime hard to get my hand in thier mouth, because there so little. I would like to get one of these tools but haven't properly invested in one yet. I kinda like sticking my hand in thier mouth it's fun to me!

Attachment is want I want to get!

Attached Files:

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Slim

Yes I agree I've got a big frabil power catch, I don't think there's a fish that swim these parts that can break this one!!!

13. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Is that one of those thing is called?

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    josh The pic you posted, thats a boga grip, type tool.

15. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yup that what I meant!!

Thanks for clearing that up :D!

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    My PB channel cat broke the net i had that night with him... had a back up net i got from a friend but i don't know how much i trust it... haven't gotten to really use it since i caught that fish, hoping to later this year... I keep seeing one at the local sporting goods store that i want its a little larger then the last one i had 30 inches wide or so but the handle extends from 4 ft to like 8 or so... i don't know if its worth the money to buy it or not though...

I also tend to carry a knockoff version of the Boga Grip w/ me when i go fishing (though unfortunately didn't have it when i got my PB) but when i have had it, its worked really well with helping to land fish... i attached a small/med. float to it just incase it went overboard it wouldn't find a home at the bottom of the lake/river... Look on Ebay for the lipper tools, you may just find one thats worth the money...

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I prefer a big net, just make sure to lift it by the ring and not the handle for heavy weight fish. The boga type grippers work well if he happens to be holding still and have his mouth open. Most of the big boys I've caught go on a roll at the boat and have no intention of holding still. As far as grabbing them by hand it works well until he decides to flop and drive a giant hook in your hand. I can have a net under them and safely in the boat on the first pass, seen to many get away waiting for them to calm down to grip or grab.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I am fishing where I can bring the fish into shallow water I dont use a net, I just reach down and grab the flats by the jaw..Now if the water is deep by the bank I always carry a net..Be carefull when trying to hoist a big fish by the handle.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sorry to hear that, I've never lost a record or anything, but this is just one of the big fish I have lost due to not having a large enough net.......I had one of my biggest fish that was a blue that was at least over 50lb get off right at the bank because we did not have a good net, we were fishing at a dam at the fish got in the current and swam by the bank one time and my dad tried to get the fish in the net but it was just way too big and it just thrashed out of the net and took off and it got in the current again and ran way downstream and broke my line. :cursing: :sad:

Blue Cats are usually harder to grab than other Catfish becuase of the "Alligator Roll" they do, they will not just take skin off your knuckles.....they can do alot worse than that. Although I usually grab my Channel Cats though because were I catch them is usually in a river where it's easy to get to the water, I still wont grab it if it's a really huge Channel Cat. The way I look at it is, I would rather spend a little money for a good net than to take a chance of losing a Record size cat because I was trying to grab him. Also I fish off the bank, and it's not easy to get all the way to the water to grab a fish, you almost have to have a net with a decent length handle, and the handle has to be very strong. And the net has to be deep so a big cat will fold up into the net. I guess once you have lost so many big fish of all kinds right at the bank you get kinda tired of it and you decide to try to put a stop to it. ;)

Hey I might be a scaredy cat baby too, but one day I hope to be a scared baby with a record fish.....lol :D ;) You try to grab a 50+ lb blue by the mouth on some rocks.....and see if you make it back up the rocks with the fish still in your hand (without a broken wrist)..... ;)

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh and yeah those work great too, esspecialy in a boat or anywhere where you can get down to the water easily. :)