Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd LOVE to take a crack at a Bull Shark! I already know what I'd like to use if I have a choice; Essentially, a Solid S-Glass or E-Glass Rod Blank with an all Metal Reel Seat, 7.5 feet long, Roller Guides, a MASSIVE Circle Hook (I already have Trokar Magnum HD Salt Water Circle Hooks, those would probably work) 400 pound Mono, and a toss up for the Reel because I've never actually gotten to use, or touch, the ones I drool over from Penn and Shimano, but it would either be a Penn Fathom 60 Lever Drag, or a Penn Squall 60 Lever Drag, or a Shimano TLDII, or a Tiagra, depending on what was available. Leader I'd want about the same really. If this was in the Ocean and not a River where Bull Sharks go, then I'd use Braid for the first time EVER on purpose LOL. 1000 Pound test Braid.... Bull Sharks have "Denticles" on their skin, making it feel like sand paper, but it's teeth on their skin, so abrasion is an issue, but I figure the rope I'd be using for braid would work LOL.

And yes I'll be "checking" on those XH Big Cat Fever Rods too ;)

You know I like the "idea" behind the Beefstick, because it's solid Fiberglass, but I've seen what it takes to bust one too; You load that thing up hard and the graphite Reel Seat will pop, and crack, and be done for. Why Daiwa didn't use E-Glass or S-Glass with a Metal reel Seat is beyond me, but it would be nice to have one with a Metal Reel Seat and better materials because it would be a horse stopper at that point LOL.

The XH Big Cat Fever Rod, I'll make a guess that it'll be close, but not THAT close. S-Glass is lighter and stronger than regular Fiber Glass, by about 20%, so you'd have a decent Rod no matter what heh.

--------------------------------------

Flat Top; Big Cat Fever Handles and Butts are actually pretty long; They're designed so that you can put the Butt of the Rod under your arm, and pull up with the Handles, and are made longer on purpose. They also are designed so that if you stick a Big Cat Fever Rod into a Rod Holder, and something HUGE takes off at full Drag, you can still pull it out of the Rod Holder even under torque. I think you'll love it.

----------------

As for Graphite..... Heh, I'll be Honest here; Use whatever YOU like using. Don't let anyone tell you what gear to use. But in my opinion, Graphite is allowed in ONE portion of my gear; The Pencil I have in my bag that I use for spooling line.

I know, I know! St. Croix has all those ninja premium types of Graphite they use in their high end gear like that 750.00 Musky Rod they make that has like all the SCV and whatever else pencil leads they add to those blanks to make them super light and strong, and I know; Casting Lures for Musky is a long process and a heavier blank would hurt, but at the end of the day, the difference in weight is incredibly small between the lightest graphite Rods, and a Fiber Glass Rod.

That one and only Abu Reel I have, I slapped it on a Zebco 33 Conventional Blank I saw in the garage, and I put a Musky Lure on it, and started testing it out at the River a few days ago. Wasn't bad; Only backlashed once, and I fixed that up within a minute or two.
Some good takes there, but after seeing what the shattered cats have been capable of doing on both record class fish and those of the table fare variety I definitely will stick them for my multi purpose rigs, for the extreme conditions I cant wait to see what the BCF XH is all about.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The key to catching shark is line capacity. 100 lb braid and a 130 lb shock leader ( for the beach) followed by braided steel and steel wire will catch big sharks! I cant see where 1000 lb mono would be a gain especially because the diameter is somewhere around .150 of an inch.....that would be like trying to spool clothes line on a fishing reel.

I am looking forward to the BCF H rods...should be here tomorrow. That is good news on the handles. I have a couple of Ugly Catfish rods and I have no problem with them for light (conditions) work, but, the handles are just a bit short for me to get decent distance when casting....but, that may be more me than the rod.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Justin; Same! Can't wait!

Flat Top:

I know it would be like rope on the Reel, but if I had a Shimano Tiagra 130, or one of those massive Penn Internationals, it would fit ! LOL.

Honestly if it was open ocean, I'd probably want still with the 200+ pound Braid, and then a nice long SUPER heavy Mono leader for abrasion and shock of course, and yeah I'd use steel too on the end of it just so it doesn't chomp through it so easy. I think a Shimano TLD II would probably do it as they are nice looking reels, and I've seen Jeremy Wade using them on Bull Sharks, and on Catfish in the Amazon. Which is a nice plus.... In case I ever want to catch the Red Tail I have as a pet LOL.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why would you want to catch your pet?!?!?!?!?
I don't think I could Honestly. He'd get pretty mad with a hook in his mouth, and they're SUPER smart! So he'd totally know it was me, and probably get mad and grab my hand or something while I'm feeding him, so I don't think I would actually do that, because he's still little right now, though little is a relative term for fish that get that big, and I hand feed him, and I pet him and stuff, so Honestly I don't think I could.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts