Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Penn 6/0 Senator (114H), 1000 yards of 100 lb braid, 130 lb shock leader, 135 lb stainless steel terminal leader, 14/0 circle hook, 1 lb weight plus 3 lbs bait, and the BCF XH rod............the perfect set up for...... river monsters!:rolleyes1:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Penn 6/0 Senator (114H), 1000 yards of 100 lb braid, 130 lb shock leader, 135 lb stainless steel terminal leader, 14/0 circle hook, 1 lb weight plus 3 lbs bait, and the BCF XH rod............the perfect set up for...... river monsters!:rolleyes1:
Change the Hook and you'll have a REALLY nice set up that'll handle some Sturgeon I'm sure heh. Man I REALLY want one of these now, and can't wait till they get released! That Penn Fathom 30 Lever Drag I drool over would look AWESOME on that!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Change the Hook and you'll have a REALLY nice set up that'll handle some Sturgeon I'm sure heh. Man I REALLY want one of these now, and can't wait till they get released! That Penn Fathom 30 Lever Drag I drool over would look AWESOME on that!
Dont fish for sturgeon in the rivers...just cats and bull shark.:biggrin1:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a fathom 30 lever drag for a while and really liked it. Probably shouldn't have gotten rid of that reel lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder how this rod is going to compare to the Warrior Cat XH, the knockout, and the American spirit XH rod?

I have my, "do all setups," that I've found myself comfortable in about all types of fishing scenarios but an overkill rig to basically Diddy pole a giant sucker, bullhead, carp or drum into a log jam or anchor a bait like that down and do it effectively from the boat or below a dam somewhere on the bank would be nice as well.

And since my gear overhaul I don't necessarily have one in my arsenal at the moment.. im sure the og shattered cat rods (now called m/h) would do it, and id like to see what the new heavy is about as well. One of my requirements for a bruiser rod is a long handle and oversized length and thickness wise fore grip.. the warrior cat seems a little on the small side of that spectrum.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dont fish for sturgeon in the rivers...just cats and bull shark.:biggrin1:
LOL sadly we don't really get Bull Sharks anymore; The DNR of Michigan has barriers to stop the Asian Carp from coming through here, and so that's why we have only ONE Bull Shark attack on record in the Lakes, and that was 1955. Tell you one thing, I'd have been out there trying to catch it because Michigan in 1955? Maaaaaaaannnnnnn..... I'd be rolling up in my standard V8 Cadillac and having a blast LOL.

Justin.91 - Man I already think I'll love it. LOL. The Price is high up front, but to have a Lever Drag Reel with Dura-Drag.... *Drool*

Ramon; I could totally help you with a Catfish Comedy hour, but if I lose a fish, I'll have to open the audio up in a Wave Editor so I can delete EVERY word that comes out of my mouth for a minute LOL.

Justin.91 - Part two - I think the XH Big Cat Fever Rod will hold up well! Unlike basically every other Rod listed, it's still the only one that is pure S-Glass. The Warrior Cat Rods are awesome too, don't get me wrong, I've put SERIOUS thought into getting one, but until my financial situation is better, I get ONE good Rod a year, for Christmas, and that's why I've got two Big Cat Fever Rods, drool on my chin when I'm on Penn's Website, and a slight twitch when I see a Lever Drag LOL.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Oh the bull shark stories I could tell!!!!

On the rods...I am going to get a couple of BCF H rods to start with...try to order tomorrow. I was hoping for black, but, it looks like all they have in stock is white....which is ok I guess...I dont see well at night so the color probably doesn't matter much. Anyway, going to try them out...will be for my river fishing...heavy weight and bait....in fast current.

Also going to check on an XH rod as well...

·
Registered
167 Posts
LOL sadly we don't really get Bull Sharks anymore; The DNR of Michigan has barriers to stop the Asian Carp from coming through here, and so that's why we have only ONE Bull Shark attack on record in the Lakes, and that was 1955. Tell you one thing, I'd have been out there trying to catch it because Michigan in 1955? Maaaaaaaannnnnnn..... I'd be rolling up in my standard V8 Cadillac and having a blast LOL.

Justin.91 - Man I already think I'll love it. LOL. The Price is high up front, but to have a Lever Drag Reel with Dura-Drag.... *Drool*

Ramon; I could totally help you with a Catfish Comedy hour, but if I lose a fish, I'll have to open the audio up in a Wave Editor so I can delete EVERY word that comes out of my mouth for a minute LOL.

Justin.91 - Part two - I think the XH Big Cat Fever Rod will hold up well! Unlike basically every other Rod listed, it's still the only one that is pure S-Glass. The Warrior Cat Rods are awesome too, don't get me wrong, I've put SERIOUS thought into getting one, but until my financial situation is better, I get ONE good Rod a year, for Christmas, and that's why I've got two Big Cat Fever Rods, drool on my chin when I'm on Penn's Website, and a slight twitch when I see a Lever Drag LOL.
I had two Daiwa beefstick 7' XH that were the absolute perfect rod blanks for the type of overkill rod I wanted, however the handle was so short leverage was awkward and setting the hook, and casting were just uncomfortable. If a rod had that kind of blank and backbone but a better handle and foregrip and reel seat, there's nothing that could be more heavy duty. I'd be thrilled if the new BCF XH rods were similar.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I had two Daiwa beefstick 7' XH that were the absolute perfect rod blanks for the type of overkill rod I wanted, however the handle was so short leverage was awkward and setting the hook, and casting were just uncomfortable. If a rod had that kind of blank and backbone but a better handle and foregrip and reel seat, there's nothing that could be more heavy duty. I'd be thrilled if the new BCF XH rods were similar.
Justin; Good point on the handles! I have a couple of Ugly cat rods and I like them for light work, but, the handles are way too short for my liking (casting). I hope the BCF handles are a tad longer. I have modified handle lengths in the past to suit me, and I would not be beyond doing that with a rod that I really like.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Justin; Good point on the handles! I have a couple of Ugly cat rods and I like them for light work, but, the handles are way too short for my liking (casting). I hope the BCF handles are a tad longer. I have modified handle lengths in the past to suit me, and I would not be beyond doing that with a rod that I really like.
I was going to have a local custom rod builder get involved with re doing those rods using only the blanks but i sold both of them with my penn reels, my fathom 30LD and defiance 25LW.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was going to have a custom rod guy here locally re purpose these blanks for what I wanted but instead went to the graphite shattered cats and smaller reels for my do all rigs.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I was going to have a custom rod guy here locally re purpose these blanks for what I wanted but instead went to the graphite shattered cats and smaller reels for my do all rigs.
I bought a graphite rod.....once! It snapped first time out. I fixed it and only use it for baitfish now. So far its holding up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought a graphite rod.....once! It snapped first time out. I fixed it and only use it for baitfish now. So far its holding up.
Won't have that problem with the shattered cats, they're modeled after some top of the line muskie rods using metal reel seats and more guides. Awesome pieces that I'd feel comfortable hooking an 80# flathead with and can still feel everything a 5# channel does.

Just really want to add a stump puller for extreme conditions back to my arsenal.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh the bull shark stories I could tell!!!!

On the rods...I am going to get a couple of BCF H rods to start with...try to order tomorrow. I was hoping for black, but, it looks like all they have in stock is white....which is ok I guess...I dont see well at night so the color probably doesn't matter much. Anyway, going to try them out...will be for my river fishing...heavy weight and bait....in fast current.

Also going to check on an XH rod as well...
I'd LOVE to take a crack at a Bull Shark! I already know what I'd like to use if I have a choice; Essentially, a Solid S-Glass or E-Glass Rod Blank with an all Metal Reel Seat, 7.5 feet long, Roller Guides, a MASSIVE Circle Hook (I already have Trokar Magnum HD Salt Water Circle Hooks, those would probably work) 400 pound Mono, and a toss up for the Reel because I've never actually gotten to use, or touch, the ones I drool over from Penn and Shimano, but it would either be a Penn Fathom 60 Lever Drag, or a Penn Squall 60 Lever Drag, or a Shimano TLDII, or a Tiagra, depending on what was available. Leader I'd want about the same really. If this was in the Ocean and not a River where Bull Sharks go, then I'd use Braid for the first time EVER on purpose LOL. 1000 Pound test Braid.... Bull Sharks have "Denticles" on their skin, making it feel like sand paper, but it's teeth on their skin, so abrasion is an issue, but I figure the rope I'd be using for braid would work LOL.

And yes I'll be "checking" on those XH Big Cat Fever Rods too ;)

You know I like the "idea" behind the Beefstick, because it's solid Fiberglass, but I've seen what it takes to bust one too; You load that thing up hard and the graphite Reel Seat will pop, and crack, and be done for. Why Daiwa didn't use E-Glass or S-Glass with a Metal reel Seat is beyond me, but it would be nice to have one with a Metal Reel Seat and better materials because it would be a horse stopper at that point LOL.

The XH Big Cat Fever Rod, I'll make a guess that it'll be close, but not THAT close. S-Glass is lighter and stronger than regular Fiber Glass, by about 20%, so you'd have a decent Rod no matter what heh.

--------------------------------------

Flat Top; Big Cat Fever Handles and Butts are actually pretty long; They're designed so that you can put the Butt of the Rod under your arm, and pull up with the Handles, and are made longer on purpose. They also are designed so that if you stick a Big Cat Fever Rod into a Rod Holder, and something HUGE takes off at full Drag, you can still pull it out of the Rod Holder even under torque. I think you'll love it.

----------------

As for Graphite..... Heh, I'll be Honest here; Use whatever YOU like using. Don't let anyone tell you what gear to use. But in my opinion, Graphite is allowed in ONE portion of my gear; The Pencil I have in my bag that I use for spooling line.

I know, I know! St. Croix has all those ninja premium types of Graphite they use in their high end gear like that 750.00 Musky Rod they make that has like all the SCV and whatever else pencil leads they add to those blanks to make them super light and strong, and I know; Casting Lures for Musky is a long process and a heavier blank would hurt, but at the end of the day, the difference in weight is incredibly small between the lightest graphite Rods, and a Fiber Glass Rod.

That one and only Abu Reel I have, I slapped it on a Zebco 33 Conventional Blank I saw in the garage, and I put a Musky Lure on it, and started testing it out at the River a few days ago. Wasn't bad; Only backlashed once, and I fixed that up within a minute or two.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts