Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgot to mention that I saw the rod earlier this week on Facebook. The company isn't talking about it on their page and it's no talk about it on their website. I'm assuming he got it on early release for their pro staff. Anyone heard about a release date for general population? Anybody got one and tried it? Since buying a few more Fathom 25s my Omoto GTR Lever Drag needs a new home and I'm interested in slapping it on the XH rod
FB_IMG_1591683933005.jpeg

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I have two of the BCF Heavy rods I wanted to get for bank fishing the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, but, I have yet to find out how good they are at casting heavy weight and bait (distance). If this XH rod can cast, and it is put into production I might dismiss the H in favor of the XH. "Overkill........is way underrated".

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The H cast's 16oz and bait with no problems from a boat. I haven't tried mine bank fishing for distance yet. I will be using mine with about 6oz on Sunday. I'll let you know how it does. I have 10oz-16oz here but with these small lakes there's no current and we're not allowed to use live bait so I dont see myself needing more than 6oz here

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The H cast's 16oz and bait with no problems from a boat. I haven't tried mine bank fishing for distance yet. I will be using mine with about 6oz on Sunday. I'll let you know how it does. I have 10oz-16oz here but with these small lakes there's no current and we're not allowed to use live bait so I dont see myself needing more than 6oz here
I would really appreciate that Ramon!!! For 90% of my fishing about 60-65 yards gets me where I need to be. If I need to go beyond that I have some heavy saltwater reels, long rods, etc.....but, that is seldom, and transporting the longer rods is a pain, so I need a good excuse to bring them along. Also, the long rods need a lot of room for casting, and I only have a few spots where that is doable. 8 ft or so is just about perfect for my use, transporting, and the areas that I fish.

I have been using a couple of (8 ft two piece) Ugly Catfish casting rods on the river for now, and they are good rods and I have caught a few cats on them, but the BIG rivers require something a bit more stout....more about the "conditions" than the size of the fish....and I am not a big fan of two piece rods....matter of fact the Ugly's may become one piece rods before all is said and done. When I get the BCF rods I will delegate the Ugly's to still water cat fishing....they are much more suited for that purpose IMHO.

I have done a lot of research and the BCF H (or the XH) rods seem like the ticket for my needs......all I need now is info on how they cast, so, your input will be valuable,

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Good point Bill.

I have had issues with two piece rods over the years...everything from twisting to de-lamination and cracking/splitting at the male/female ferrules. One good thing about the Ugly Catfish rods, is that they are reinforced at the female ferrule with a guide and wrap and that adds a lot of strength to that area. If a rod does not have wraps at the ferrules they should be added especially if the rod will be used as a two piece. I have a 10 ft rod that I am working on now. The other option is to clean up and epoxy a two piece rod.....and that usually solves all those issues....add wraps for further strength in that area and you have a bullet proof rod.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol ended up going to the bait hole. Got 5 small carp and a Rudd for bait. Caught a small pike too. Sky opened up the moment I got home lol Now I have some cutbait for Wels. Will try again Wednesday.
Heck....put a No. 6, 7, 8, hook and 6oz on that BCF H rod and go to it. Never can tell, you may catch a trophy bait fish and need that kind of power!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I was told next month they'll be released but wasn't told the exact date
My interest at this time is for the BCF H rods....need two for two Penn Delmar 285 M's. They will be my BIG river set up.......but, I have a Long Beach 67 that I modified and it casts very well, so I might be interested in the XH BCF rod..........you know, for "River Monsters"!!!:biggrin1:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
For River Monsters........ My sentiments exactly
The Missouri Department of Conservation researches data used to determine the concentrations of contaminates that are stored in the meat of fish...most all species. Then the state reports that data as an "edible fish size" document for those of us that eat fish. For instance, catfish taken from the Missouri River should be no longer than 20 inches (at last report that I saw) to be considered "consumable" on a regular basis. Of course the larger/ older the fish is the more contaminates it will have in its meat and the less it should be consumed.

I eat catfish, so when I fish I maintain near the standard that the state has set. I really dont pursue the big boys. I target eating sized fish, and anything larger (or small fry) is released......normally I only keep one or two fish from each lucky day on the water anyway.................but, this year I decided to up my game and make an "attempt" to land larger cats on an irregular basis...for the sport of it....and if I get lucky, the big boy will be returned to fight another day.

The BCF rods are part of that game plan and its not so much about the strength of the rods to catch big cats (I already have the equipment to do that), but the miserable conditions that are imposed on equipment fishing big rivers from the bank......that requires a hefty rod, and the BCF H and XH rods would fill that need. All I need is a broomstick and that river monster will be mine!!!!:rolleyes1:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts