Big cat fever help

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Mccallister25, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    Alright guys, finally upgrading a few of my rods. One I plan on ordering is a BCF spinning rod.
    I mainly fish for Channel cats ranging from dinks, up to around 10 pounds but plan on getting a kayak or boat within the next year. I need a rod that is light enough to where the channel cats are still fun, but also enough backbone to tackle large fish on the lake.
    Big cat fever has a medium, and a medium heavy option. I don’t want too flimsy, and also don’t want a broomstick. I also use circle hooks exclusively, so the action needs to be on the moderate side. Which one is more suitable for my needs, medium or MH?

Brackish*Water likes this.
  2. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    All of their rods are a moderate action. The Med is an ideal channel cat rod. It will handle up to 5oz really well and is rated to 6oz. 3oz is about the sweet spot. 15-20lb fish are no problem. If you want to go to the Med Hvy it still has a soft tip with a lot of backbone. The smaller fish (up to about 5 or 6lbs) will not be much fun on the Mwd Hvy though. I have both in casting version.

3. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    Thanks for the input! I’m leaning more toward the medium as of now, just because of the type of fishing I do but also want to look out for the future because I don’t wanna have to buy another in a year or less lol. Would the medium handle say a 20-25 pound fish, and actually be solid in the instance I were to hook up with one on the lake?

Brackish*Water likes this.
  4. SteveMcK

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    It will definitely handle a fish that large and larger but you will not horse it. If the water is barren of cover then no problem. Dieter has caught fish up to I believe about 40lbs on his but again clean water is the key.

Brackish*Water and Mccallister25 like this.
  5. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    Thanks a lot brother. You’ve convinced me!

SteveMcK likes this.
  6. SteveMcK

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Well, I like them but you might want some others to chime in. But, I'm not sure anyone else has the Med action around here. If so, maybe they can chime in here.

7. Dan Coy

Dan Coy New Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Dan Coy
    Hi Guys,
    I use the CTF medium action black cork spinning rod. It does a nice job handling channels cats and it is fun to use . I have caught channels ranging from dinks to 12lbs. and also caught some every nice flatheads on it as well. The rod gives you that extra insurance for when Mrs. BIG hits you will have the confidence to land it . You won't go wrong with it.
    Also, just received and email from CTF their is going to be another series of rods coming soon! The hell cat series, don't know much about those yet, Does any one else know?

eastforker and SteveMcK like this.
  8. Wilsonj0801

Wilsonj0801 Member

State:
    North carolina
    Name:
    Josh
    Watched my partner horse a 74 in the boat in 2 minutes on a medium bcf, they have tons of backbone down deep.

SteveMcK likes this.
  9. gregrn43

gregrn43 Active Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    Name:
    Greg
    Wow expressive

10. Wilsonj0801

Wilsonj0801 Member

State:
    North carolina
    Name:
    Josh
    Deep down they’re as strong as my twcs.

11. SteveMcK

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    WOW! That is something. I saw a video of an 80lb plus on the web and it said they caught it on the BCF Med action rod. I thought maybe they were just confused on which action it was. It really had a backbone to it. Since you saw it done as well I guess they were right. They just don't feel that substantial to me. I love mine though. Guess they will do more than I give them credit for.

Dan Coy likes this.
  12. Dan Coy

Dan Coy New Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Dan Coy
    I am looking forward to the new BCF Hellcat series .

illinois_angler and SteveMcK like this.
  13. Wilsonj0801

Wilsonj0801 Member

State:
    North carolina
    Name:
    Josh
    We fish them hard, they are capable of a lot more than they feel like. Once they flex about half way down the blank they get stiff, tie your line to something and really dig into it you’ll see what I’m talking about.

SteveMcK likes this.
  14. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I would have to agree that if the originator of this thread catches mostly channel cats and doesn't want a rod that is too stiff, a rod that you can horse a 74 pound fish in would be useless.

slomorick likes this.
  15. Wilsonj0801

Wilsonj0801 Member

State:
    North carolina
    Name:
    Josh
    I wouldn’t say they are quite broomsticks, id say more of a medium tip with the backbone down deep as stout as my extremes lol. Personally I think all catfish rods today are extremely overpowered. Uglystick catfish rods are plenty for op IMO. I much prefer my whisker whips over all my others, they actually flex, the bcfs, the anvils, my meathunters, and others all stay home

slomorick likes this.
  16. Wilsonj0801

Wilsonj0801 Member

State:
    North carolina
    Name:
    Josh
    I have some rods of days gone by as well, and yes I agree lighter tackle is more fun.

slomorick likes this.
  17. Dan Coy

Dan Coy New Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Dan Coy
    Actually I do fish from the bank. It all depends on the fish that dictate what type of structure, and bait I fish .

18. SteveMcK

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Med action not Med Hvy. I guess some call it power now. All the BCF rods have a Moderate action or taper. The tip has good flex.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Dan Coy likes this.
  19. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    Just a follow up for anyone that is interested. I ended up getting a BCF medium about 2 weeks ago. So far the only fish Iv been able to test it out on are small channel cats. Iv been pretty busy lately, so fishing has been minimal for me.
    My impression of the fever so far is, it has plenty of backbone.. Even being a medium. In my opinion it’s underrated. Way more backbone than my ugly stik MH’s. With that being said, even the dinks Iv caught with it have loaded it up. It’s not a broomstick by any means. Iv been pleased with it so far. Just need to get some blues on it.

Dan Coy, Wilsonj0801, ramon06 and 2 others like this.