big carp

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigrob2530, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    i was wondering if any one had any good dough ball recipes i wanna fish the three rivers and i wanna try these pay lakes but it seems my bait never stays on the hook or it wont work i dont know what iam doing wrong when making it i wanna something that will work thanks alot let me know

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    You might want to consider browsing this forum
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212

its not like No one here has ever fished doughballs; but knowing the PA forum a little. Only a few anglers that regularly post here I think really target carp.

as for me, I'd love to catch a huge carp and have come 360° in the last few years. I've come to appreciate large, powerful fish that I wouldn't eat...

whether its large alleghany catfish or those gummy mouth leviathons. the carp.

But I'm still in the "bread" phase:wink:, and I think I need to focus more on approach and stealth.

good luck to your search.

3. No need for that fancy stuff, good old yellow corn kernels are just fine. Thread half a dozen fresh kernels on a size 2 hook with a split shot or two. Throw a handfull or two out for chum.

4. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    lright thnaks for the help any more ???????????

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I caught my first carp of 09 on a nightcrawler

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok, from a guy that has fished ALOT of nightcrawlers. Carp generally Don't hit nightcrawlers. espacially in low water.

as for more rob, hmmm.. what do I say. first, good luck the carp are tough to find until the water warms up.
    so you might start with that. is there a local place with a hot water outlet? That would be a start.

second, as admirable as the doughball thing is; I'd advise against it if you're not getting the knack of putting bait on the hook.

it seems that FRESH bread, can be 'rolled' onto a hook. the keyword is fresh- once it gets old it gets brittle.. Corn is also highly recommended (though not personally tried). Corn versus bread for carp is like pepsi versus coke for pop. They're both great baits, work well, and easy to get.

I will say that not many people HERE will recommend a paylake. to go to a paylake for one of the most common fish that can be found nearly everywhere... boggles my mind. I don't know how paylakes that feature carp and catfish stay in business:eek:oooh:. if you've figured out the fish, the three rivers has incredible fishing for carp and catfish.

Lastly, I'll add that it pays to tighten and double check that knot, usually the big boys go into a stiff run when hooked- and with frayed line get do in your knot. if your in comparatively shallow conditions- you might want to try thinning line that you would think given there line.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There's a guy in SE Ohio named S-Man that has the best recipe for his infamous Wheaties Balls:cool2::wink::smile2:

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Just moisten some shredded wheat work it into dough I like the strawberry flavor for bait myself but around my part of the Skuke last year I caught easily 25 carp on crawlers in the beginning of the year I caught one on a chunk of shrimp one on a minnow head,my brother told me to use creamed corn and mix it with shredded wheat and that will work good for carp bait

9. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    what river do you fish ??

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    The Schuylkill near Reading,Pa

11. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    alright man thanks alot

12. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i have a recipe that i call kitchen cupboard, pretty much whats in the cupboard at the time. flour, corn meal,cereals etc for the dry ingredients. water for the wet,two secret ingredients, one strawberry jello- no water just jello. second bread yeast. mix flour corn meal and jello together the yeast . and enough water(i've always wanted to try soda like dr pepper)to make a stiff dough, set in a warm place for a while for the yeast to rise a bit and your ready. cut up in 8 oz or so chunks (you may have to dust them with a little flour to keep them from sticking) and put in ziplock bags . you can freeze whats not needed. put on a size 10 to a size6 treble hook and it should stay on for a few casts if it doesn't get eaten first. don't be afraid to experiment. molassas or vanilla or karo syrup all can be added as well.

13. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Carp like corn, in all its varieties, whole kernel, ground as in cornmeal, cream style, hard corn kernels soured or fermented for a week, you name it they like it.

There are a wide variety of fairly reasonable breakfast Cereals that will make a good doughball base. Mini Shredded wheat is an easy one. Plus they are already flavored with the sweet "frosting" You can actually just bring the box to the water, grab a handful, dip it in water to moisten, and kneed it into a firm ball.

Other flavorings that have worked well for me in the past year are molasses, marshmallow, peanut butter, and Vanilla extract.

Personally I like to roll my doughballs ahead of time, then drop them into boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes. This makes them tougher, easier to keep on a single hook. (sorry but I dislike trebles for fish I'g going to release) Mostly I use a double hook rig (sort of a modified hair rig) with a #2 baitholder hook holding the ball, and a #4 or #6 hook 2 -3 inches above it bare, or with a nightcrawler teaser.

But really the sky is the limit when it comes to doughbaits.
    Limited only to your imagination, and what you want to try.

14. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thats sounds good i gotta give that a try

15. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Heres a way I have made a great doughball an its very easy, take wheaties, crunch em up in your hands dry dump in a package of strawberry jello, add a little, i said a little warm water work it all up with your hands, your ready to fish, soon as u get that dang pink jello color off your hands, good luck this stuff works

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

for bigrob2530.I,m not too good getting around these forums yet,but if you can tell me how to send you a private message,I,ll be glad to help you out with a few good dough recipes.Been fishing dough for forty years and refining my recipes for 39. One exception i,ve found is early spring. When the waters cold (now) and high i,ve seen the really big carp taking crawlers and ignoring everything else. It,s the only time of the year I fish crawlers for carp heavily.:0a26:

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I've noticed that as well Pat carp like crawlers early spring I guess to get a jump start on their metabolism

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Those copper scaled swimming logs are only good for 2 things: coon traps and fertilizer! Since being introduced to the waters in North America in the mid 1800s, all native species population has dramatically decreased throughout the centuries.

They uproot vegetation thus destroying spawning habitat, cover, and food sources for fish fry. The expell ammonia like we expell piss which taints the water and having more adverse affests on gamefish.

They are a prized gamefish in Europe sadly because they have destroyed all of Europe's rivers and pretty much the only thing you can catch because they can survive in human polluted waters.

In 500 years, all of America's waters will be nothing but carp!:crazy:

USE A BOW AND ARROW, NO BAIT NEEDED!:wink::smile2:

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    They are fun to catch though,I think they should allow them as bait though too that would help get rid of some of them:wink:

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Soon we will all be out there with our 11 ft spinning set ups using S-Man's secret Wheaties Balls:cool2::smile2:

This is America and the catfish rule!