big buck shot two times!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by on_the_fly, Nov 29, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A friend of mine was telling me that there was a guy hunting the same area as him the last weekend of gun. that guy made a shot and a few hours later at the trucks they were discussing this buck the guy shot. It was a 12 point but the funny/bad part was that it still had a cross bow bolt sticking through its neck:eek:oooh:. my friend said there was about 4 inches sticking out on both sides and that the blood /wonds on both sides had cloted up so it had been there for a little while but just had not hit any faital area in it. well he said he took some pics for the guy and parted ways but thought was quite rare story so he shared with me and I thought I would past it on to yall.
    Have any of you ever run across any animal like that? I have seen a few times wonded deer but never with an arrow or bolt sticking from them.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i killed a buck years ago that had been hit with a non fatal arrow and under the skin was full of magots!!! this was the one time i didnt legaly tag a deer! i wasnt touching it after i seen what was going on!!! :sad2:

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I killed a 9 point one time that had an arrow sticking out of it. I almost didn,t shoot from looking at something flopping up and down on it's side as it was running past. I had to throw the front half of the deer away do to gain green already setting up in it.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if half was that bad you couldnt have paid me to touch what was left..:eek:oooh:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That bad, I would put it down and call it a day.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    A friend of mine told me of killing one some years ago with an 8" piece of arrow in it that had healed over think it was in one of his hind quarters. He told me it had a limp and that he thought it had been hurt while fighting another bock

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My buddy keeps a small bait pile behind his house with a trail cam set up. Hes been watching a couple decent bucks for a couple years now. 3 weeks ago one of them came in with a arrow hanging out the side of it. He said it looks like someone tried to shoot it while it was faceing away from them. The arrow is lodged under its shoulder almost parralel to its body. If I can get him to send me the pic Ill post it for you.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is going to be some disappointed crossbow hunter when he hears the story and how big the deer was!!! I have heard of deer that have been shot by someone else, then running in front of another hunter to get shot again. This usually results in a fight for whose deer it is!!!!:smile2:

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A guy I used to work with killed a deer that had an infected would from being shot. He called MDC, and they picked up the deer, and replaced his tag. Might be something worth looking in to ahead of time....just incase. I couldn't just leave it lay myself.

I did take a doe a couple of years ago, and when I started separating the roasts in the hind quarter, birdshot started falling out. Wasn't bruised, or infected. Hard telling how long it was in there.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I killed a buck years ago that had a muzzy head and 3" of alluminum shaft
    between his shoulder blades. The wound had completely healed and the
    deer was in perfect condition. I found the arrow with a meat saw. After
    finding the arrow I went back and checked the hide and found a scar.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I killed a buck with a gun several years ago and started to gut it. I felt something cut my finger as I cut the diaphragm. There was a broad head stuck near the back bone that had healed over. One I shot with my bow and lost, my partner shot again during gun season a few weeks later. 8" of my arrow was tucked between the ribs and shoulder blade. It looked like good penetration when I shot it, but the arrow had glanced off the ribs and never got to the vitals.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

I ate the tenderloins and the hams, both appeared to be O.K. to me after skinning it on out. No ill affects that I know of, My head twitches to one side on occasion but I don't think that was the cause:wink::smile2:.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I shot a nice 8 point a few years ago and it had no outward signs of injury. But, I did when I cut the backstraps out of it and found a broadhead next to the spine. It must have been a walking away or running shot because the broadhead was pointiing forward right against the spine deep in the straps. it had completely healed over and had scar tissue in the hollow parts of the blades. no infection in the area though. it had completely healed over. I run my fingers up and down the spine to loosen the straps by hand and cut only where needed. That's how I found it. the broadhead was still sharp. It almost cut my fingertip off.