BIG Bobbers for Catfishing from Shore in Swift Water

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by festus, Jan 17, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

This morning I was reading about a shore fishermen who fishes below this one dam when they're generating. He said it took at least a 4 oz sinker along to keep his bait down and he used a huge bobber. He throws upstream with cut bait, lets it settle in an eddy or just lets the current wash it down. He fishes 4 feet deep.

What's the best big bobber to use effectively? He gets big cats this way and I imagine he loses very little tackle to snags.

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri

3. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Mike, I'll check the link you posted. I forgot all about those. Wonder which size would be best to hold a 4 oz weight, and maybe at the max, a bait such as the size of a 7" skipjack or shad, or a 5" to 6" bluegill?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Festus Get hold of pete at wild wolf and he will tell you exactly what you need. He not only sells this stuff but he also uses them. I have fished with him several times.

5. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the smaller one mostly, just because it fits better in my tackle bag, and I usually have to make a long walk to the spots. The small one is still PLENTY big, I usually use 2 oz sinker with it, and it doesn't come close to low floating the bobber, 4 oz should be just fine. I use mine for floating in the eddys.

6. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

same with me. the big kat bobbers or the fat kat bobbers will work great for you! also dont forget the glowstick insert for nightfishing!:wink:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Poisonpits (Johnnie) can give you some tips on this method of fishing. He has caught some big fish, below dams, using this method. Maybe he will chime in. He was the one that got me interested in fishing the Kat Bobbers.

8. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah Pete at wild wolf will get you all straightened out. Just dont forget the glowsticks. I use them for everything. You cant beat the price.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Just started using the Kat bobbers this past summer,Love em!

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I been using floats in the creeks and lakes with some decent sucess. I have not try the big floats yet, I am using the thill big fish slider balsa float, 1/2 oz in size so far I caught a Channel on it.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For what you are trying to do, go with one of the bigger FatKat Katbobbers, like the 4". The reason I say this is that you will probably have enough slack or a loop in the line that it will make setting the hook into a problem. The bigger bobber will work more like a tethered jug and will take care of the hookset for you.

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    snap swivle and a 16 ounce soda bottle. run a snap swivle uner the plastic ring under the cap and screw back on set ya bobber stop add bead and the swivle eye. Cheap fast and dont cost as much when ya do hang it up. Set up with 2 to 4 ounces of weight it casts ok and drifts well and almost self sets when a cat or striper grabs it. Works even better if you can find a eddy to pull it back up against the dam for ya. I like to set it to ride about 1 to 2 ft over the bottom and that can be 4 to 20 ft deep. just peel the label and toss in a lil glow stick for night fishen. Its a good way to drift fish big rock riprap banks @ night for flats.

13. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I'm going to make my own bobbers this year. The extra money it would cost for the bobbers I can use for other tackle.

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    How far can you cast the katbobbers with a 5-6" gill from the bank? just curious

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I can get about 100 feet Ken.They aint the most aerodynamic setup around.LOL

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would seriously consider the Kat Bobber or better yet the Fat Kat Bobber. If I have half the luck I had with it this year as last year I would be okay with that. I believe it is a deadly weapon, I will be concentrateing on my KB with a couple poles on the bottom. I will find what depth they are eventually, then its on. You can most definatly fish the dams and cover alot of ground if thats what you want to do. Good luck out there. As far as distance goes I usually let the fish, current, or wind take it around. All my fish last year were caught 20' or closer to the bank.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thats what I was figuring,, I fish lakes mostly from the bank and most places you need a good distance to get to the edges of rock flats and tree lines etc...

The 6-9" weighted cigar floats I use serve well for that purpose and can hold up pretty much any 1lb bait or better. Another important thing about the cigar float it travels much slower while drifting/suspending your bait in fast current when you have it setting low in the water.( keeping you in the strike zone longer:)

18. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I made all my own Kat bobbers out of a pool noodle, I have them from about 2'' long up to 6' and I have to say the 6' are my favorite and it deffinetly sets the hook when they hit it with either a circle or khale hook on it. Price was less for the whole noodle that on Kat Bobbers. All the rest was jjust a bit of work and scrounging.

19. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the answers, fellas. I ordered an Okuma spinning reel with a bait feeder from Catfish Connection yesterday. So I also put a Kat Bobber on my list, along with a Wing-It floater and a couple other floaters, some flourescent I can't find around here. But if I like this Kat Bobber I'll go ahead and make some from pool noodles, or the plastic Coke bottles Troy talked about. Thanks again. Got any more ideas?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  20. festus

festus New Member

I got one of those Wild Wolf Kat Bobbers. It's 3-1/2" diameter and length is 3-1/4". If I like it I'll either get more or try making some of the homemade ones like in the Catfishing Library. Or again use the more economical approach that Troy recommended with the plastic Coke bottle.