Big Blues on the Missouri & Mississippi Rivers

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by chimp, Feb 22, 2008.

1. chimp

chimp New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have been fishing central iowa for several years now and have yet to catch any really big cats. I was wondering if there was anyone who fished the Missouri or the Mississippi that was catching any big blues. If so would you be willing to give up your locations, because I would be like to make a road trip for some big fish.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Obviously some places are better than others, but I can assure you that you can catch big blues throughout the Mississippi river. Just look for the obvious deep holes that provide access to structure and food. Fish the down current side of any warm water discharges, especially if you arr going to fish before the water temp gets above 50 degrees. Find yourself some fresh skips and cut'em up. I think you will be impressed. As for specific locations you will be able to estimate good holes using some navigation maps that can be found at a nearby walmart or through the corps of engineers.

3. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been told that blues are rare in the upper Mississippi (at least at L&D 12 - Bellevue, IA - and upstream). Does anybody have any knowledge of blue cats being caught up here? I don't know how far north they really get.

As an fyi, if you're willing to travel to Lake o' Ozarks, my buddy and I had great fun catching 20+ lb blues down there in February a couple of years back. Seemed to have the lake to our selves and decent numbers of fish from the deep holes on shad guts.

4. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Tom ,According to the Ia.DNR there are no Blues this far north !! I think but a not pmositive that they are not above Keokuk dam but cannot swear by this...Hope this helps...

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    +1. Deep water, inside bends. Try to find either ledges or two different bottom structures meeting. Sometimes I think I am jinxed. I know guys that catch the big ones and I fish the same places and my P.B. is only 27lbs for a blue. The biggest I've seen fishing the same struture was 80+ lbs. Ok, I am going to say it. I am going to beat my P.B. this year.:wink:

6. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Way to commit wayne1967, you have to start somewhere, and setting goals is the frist step. Good Luck!!!

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry wayne1967 I met chimp.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ?????????????????

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Brad, take a look at NE. state record blue on Mo. river for example for where/when it was caught tells how far north blues will go (some years).

Consider that each year some portion of the blues will go upriver (instinct by nature) in spring to spawn, they will stay in an area if conditions are favorable and they will move on when conditions become unfavorable.

Blues will go as far upriver as they need to get the job done. We have to remember that nothing is "static". Their world is dictated by an ever changing environment of water conditions and bait species behavior that constantly evolves and each are constantly adapting to.

Where to fish is easy, in any stretch of a river there will be preferred habitat that blues favor, the better we are at identifying that habitat the bigger the fish.....more important for us northern fishermen may be when to fish as they have to be there to catch them. Your question may be more one of proper timing than anything:wink:.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc from kentucky its good to have you aboard

11. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

Im 99% positive you are correct. Theres alot of blues under the Keokuk dam but there isnt any above it. So i believe there isnt any blues in Pool 19 or Above. Someone correct me if im wrong

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You all are right-flatties above & beyond but no blues that I know of!

13. DaleJrFan2008

DaleJrFan2008 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Theres a guy here in sioux city that caught a 45lb blue on the big sioux and that runs right into the missouri so i would keep looking!!!!!

14. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    why wouldnt there be just curis