Big bluegills

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kcgeoff, Jun 2, 2009.

1. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We headed up north yesterday to Atchison to see Julie's mom. Decided to try catching some creek chubs for bait and had limited luck.

I gave up on that and decided try a lake we used to catch big bluegills in to see if they are still there. Fished for about 2 hours and brought home about 125 big 'gils. Most of them were the size of my hand or bigger. Also threw back several once the bucket was clear full. LOL

We filleted them last night and now have a huge rubbermaid container full of bluegill fillets in the fridge. mmmmmm good!

Anybody have a good recipe for bluegills fillets? :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I wish I could get into that many big ones. The pond I fish is full of stunted ones. Wasnt like that last year.:sad2:
    Id eat some, but most would get pierced with a hook.:cool2::smile2:
    I made some coconut crappie this winter, turned out pretty good. Im sure it would be good for bluegill. I baked it.
    I also tried some pecan crusted crappie and bluecat. That was good too.:big_smile: I fried that.:wink:

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Man I know you told me on the phone but man thats a lot of gills. I wish we had some of them on sat night I might of got 10 big channels.:roll_eyes::tounge_out:

I never had bluegills before I bet there tasty.

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    thats the size i get from lake shawnee. thats bout all that lake is good for imo

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've been experimenting with different breadings lately, and two that I tried that I really liked were Pretzels, and Corn nuts.
    Crush them real good or run them through a food processor, then just bread and fry as usual. Don't add any salt to the Pretzels, they are salty enough. The corn nut need a little more.
    The corn nuts give it a good crispy coating, and a good unique flavor.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Them are some gills Geoff.....anyway you cook them will be good.

But I would like to try some of Kyle's coconut fish, that has to be good.

You should of kept the biggest one alive you might want to have him for your big fish at Melvern:smile2:

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I love to eat big bluegills but it looks like about 200 lbs of flatheads to me.

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Theres plenty left in the lake for catfish bait. I prefer bullheads or green sunfish for flathead bait. I would have kept some live but caught too dang many and decided I was hungry. LOL

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I forgot to mention that I got my new BOC camo hat in the mail yesterday and was wearing it while I caught them. Caught 2 decent channel cats while fishing for the 'gils. Now it is proclaimed the "lucky" hat. :wink::big_smile:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i have a spot were i can get them that size but dont like going there too mutch. i love getting them that size for cutbait for some big blues :wink:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Brabndon do you fish Louisburg Lake any? I caught a 10# channel there when I was young. One of the biggest fish caught around that time from it. They hung the head on the front of the post office. LOL

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea thats were i usually go to get bait. not sure theres many that size in there now. someone last year cought a 30# i think it was, flathead, didnt even know there were flatheads in there :tounge_out::wink::big_smile: it made the paper lol.

13. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's a mess of them Geoff. Congrats! Was it more fun filleting them or catching them? :smile2:

14. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas

Believe it or not, crushed up cheeze-its make a good breading too. Found that out by accident last time I was at the lake. Crush up a bunch of cheeze-its, add a touch of season salt and do like normal. Good stuff.

15. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mr. Sandman no fun at all filleting them. Took my wife and I about 2 hours to fillet them.

Crushed up Cheezits sounds like an awesome idea. I love Cheezits. I've been known to eat a whole box while night fishing on a sand bar. LOL

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    wow that a mouth watering post you all are making me hungry. Nice Catch :smile2:

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Troy,
    I can teach you how to fillet but I'm not the best at it either. Charlie would be your best bet if'n he is available at the gathering. :wink:

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dip in butter milk with an egg in it.roll in yellow corn meal and drop in the crisco.when fish floats take out and serve with fried taters and pinto beans.add a little cold slaw and your in hillbilly heaven.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been experimenting with the various Berkley Powerbaits for sunfish, and found one that the chubs seem to like - the Power Honey Worm in yellow.

The creek chubs have to be there of course, but the results were pretty amazing. Last time out I caught all of the sunfish I needed using another bait, without catching a single chub. Put the Honey Worm on and 3 of the next 4 catches were creek chubs. It's not just a fluke, it's the 3rd time in a row that they have outproduced other baits for chubs.

20. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gary,
    Thats interesting. Because I found a spot with chubs but couldn't quit catching little greenies and crawdads! I'll have to give those a try sometime.