Big Bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by creek_fisher88, May 16, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I go over to my cousins just to bluegill fish. I mainly bass fish but the bluegill in that pnd are bigger that the bass. Does it have to do with the population of his pond?

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    They are eating good and nothing is eating them. I have always thought that gills make great bait and they are the very finest to eat also

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I used to fish a farm pond that had bluegil that were as big as dinner plates, and the bass in that pond could easily eat the gils. I wouldn't be suprised if I have caught the state record bass and bluegil out of that pond, SudDawg can vouch for me on this one!

Aaron

TA2D

Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines.
    Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    In a pond we have by my dad's we always catch some mammoth sized bluegills. I think it has to do with 1) they get fed by timer 2) they're not getting ravaged by another species. Not to say they don't get eaten though. There's some bass in there in the 10-12 lb range and a few that are bigger. I think the biggest one caught so far was a little over 12. Two of the biggest bluegills we caught this weekend had wounds on them, from what I think were bass strikes.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I fish a private pond from time to time, and it is very rare to catch a gill under 10 inches long. My biggest was 15 1/4!!!! There are some big bass in there, but I doubt that there are any 10 pounders.:sad2:

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Big bream = big bass. It's been my experience that if you find a pond that is overpopulated with stunted little bream it means that they don't have many predators to deal with. The reason is simply overpopulation. If there are jumbo crappie and bream it's because the population is kept in check by some successful predators mainly bass but also catfish. I have caught some big bass and put them in ponds that were overrun with really small gills and watched how they increase in size. You just have to keep an eye out or somebody will catch your big fish and not put them back.

ST

7. D.I.P.

D.I.P. New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Greg, I Agree The Lake I Fish In Has Huge Blue Gill And Huge Bass.the Bluegill Are 3 Lb.+ And The Bass Can Be Caught 10 Lb.+ Daily.

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    dang you guys must be in the south! i catch in the summer alot of 1/4 to 1 pound gills and there are 7 pounders in that pond also 60 pound cats yet they dont feast on the gills i dont know why?

9. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    yes their are more blue gill then bass they reach the food source first.

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Yep TA2D and myself couldn't believe the fish that would come out of that itty bitty farm pond. Just massive bluegills and bass. What a blast on ultralight tackle.

SudDawg