Big blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kccatman, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kccatman

kccatman New Member

State:
    kansas
    man i have been going to the kaw since early march and i have caught several big cats but only 2 percent of them was blues. i dont understand i use the correct baits and cant catch them all i catch is big channels and flats. anyone from kansas or missouri have any tips they can share?

kccatman,
    joshua

2. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

How are you fishing for blues? to me ther is no wrong way to fish for catfish....

3. kccatman

kccatman New Member

State:
    kansas
    i am using cut shad and cut carp in the deeper holes that i know of .
    i have caught many of big blue in the past 3 years there

4. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I'm just the opposite. The last three times I've been fishing we've only caught blues. That's out of around thirty fish. I'm fishing in the Arkansas River so there is plenty of all breeds for the taking. Maybe the channels were nested up. We've been using cut shad as well.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe there just arnt a high number of blues in your lake. Our local lakes are plumb full of them. 90% to 95% of the fish we catch are blues. We have never caught a flathead from our closest lake, even when using live perch on jugs. Also another thing, the bigger a channel gets the more like a blue it looks(or so it seems) could there be a possibility that you are catching some blues, and not knowing it? Just a thought.

6. kccatman

kccatman New Member

State:
    kansas
    ty for the info . lol man i have been catfishing for 25 years and i know the difference between blue flat or channel. last year i caught the crap out of big blues. also i am fishing the kaw river.

ty,
    kccatman

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Another reason you might not be catchin' 'em right now, is if they're in the spawn. They won't typically be in their deep holes at this time.

-Red

8. kccatman

kccatman New Member

State:
    kansas
    i think i would have to agree with u redd

9. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My guess would have to be that the fish are spawning. June (give or take a few weeks, depending on latidude) is usually when they spawn. They're tough to catch at that time. Got a question for you Josh. Are you fishing one good spot in particular, or fishing a number of spots? I've discovered, whether it holds true for other people too, i don't know, that some years are just better than others, especially if i'm concentrating on one particular spot. I take it you're catching the channels on cut bait and the flats on live? Try using a different, preferably bigger size bait. At my top spot, i used to only catch channels and an occassional big blue. I found though that if i put an obscenly large piece of bait on there, it kept the little channels off of it and attracted the bigger blues better.

10. okshores17D

okshores17D New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    before and after spawn is great drifting time (wish i had a boat) Use a a bottom rig with a float holding the bait up and drift the deep spots. Blues like 35-40 feet deep.