big blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Alabamacatman, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Do the big Cats spawn the same times as lil ones do? What temp triggers them to spawn? And I've always caught cats up to 16 lbs up small creeks so where do the big ones over 25# go?

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i am no expert but i belive they do

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Blues seem to start spawning when the water temps hit 70 degrees and above in this area. For this area thats usually late May through late June. I don't think they all spawn at the same time. Your 10 lb. and bigger fish are your spawning size fish.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yes,size does'nt matter.
    blues & channels spawn when water hits70 to 84 with 80 to 81 being the best.
    flats spawn when the water hits 66 to 75.
    they spawn in rocks rootballs,depressions,old tires,hollow logs,ect..protected from the strong current.
    and all species move to tail race water before ,during, and after the spawn,if there is any around.find boulders,or cut banks in these areas an you find big fish.

5. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    i think mid july(when you dont get any good bites,spend hours with no bite) is when they go on bed hear jodi, try inside bends that are loaded with cover(trash,logs,ext.)im sure there are a few that will disagree with the mid july spawn but thats when i think it happens,since mid august the bite picks back up.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm not certain, but I think I remember the biologists saying that some of the bigger blues possibly spawn more than one time a year.
    Bill in SC

7. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think the reason for the tough bite during the spawn is because they don't all spawn at once. It sure does scatter the fish. I've caught them when they looked like they were skinny as a rail and red and beat up and 10 minutes later catch one that is fat as a pig and not a scratch on them. Seems here the temp is in the 70's.

8. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I would imagine they all spawn around the same time.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Negative. I've caught spawning fish as early as March and as late as November hear at Santee. Different times of year for different areas and different catfish. My favorite time to catch spawning Blue catfish would be late April early May. Varies from year to year.