Big blue catfish tearin gold fish up!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Rollinunknown, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    A guy and his son came in the day before yeasterday and bought 2lbs of gold fish and they went out to the st charles area and ...... they came back in today while Jim was workin the store and they did major damage lol....

68,42, and a few others 18& below.... all blues!(ill post pics soon)

This is the 2d time they came in the first time we sent em out they came back with a 36lbs flat and all the pics to prove it...

Again im still a newb at catfishing compared to others on this forum and i try to share knowledge as i learn and i never thought goldfish was a kicker for big blues but i guess we learn something new everyday!

To all the local area it seams like the St Charles Area is boomin... Im going out later today takeing my unk out on the missouri.Ill post details later.

also the 68&42 were released and they get mad props for that one!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The last couple of times I have fished the Festus area on the river,we have been catching flatheads on worms! I never would have figured that either..I guess fish will eat anything if they are hungry enough..

3. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    That is great that they released the blue cats! I like hearing that, and don't often enough.

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats awesome! i had a 14 pound blue bite on a really small goldie just last week, the catfish seem to like the gold fish because they are a soft finned fish. if you have ever been stabbed by the fin on a perch you will know what im talking about. imagine that on the roof of your mouth now....ouch!

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm glad to have read this post, I've never tried a goldfish before. Thanks for the info.

6. morivercatfisher

morivercatfisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    Oh yah ive caught a small flathead on one before too

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Were they putting the goldfish on trot lines or catching them on rod-n-reel? I have seen lots of fellas use goldfish on trot lines and catch some big ole fish! Never have heard to many folks use em while fishing with rod-n-reel though....

Reps for the release of the pigs though....that is awesome!

Thanks for sharing..

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats.

9. goosed

goosed Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    I fished Kansas river with no luck. Still have 4 goldfish in a aquarium.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That's awesome Rob. Fish on my friend!

11. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Glodfish durring the week if I am putting my Limb Lines out in the evening and dont have time to catch bait. They are tough as nails, travel well without an air system and stay on the hook. Just used them last weekend on the Osage and did good.:big_smile:

12. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    They are all on pole guys ... Wow the water came up get ready for the good bites! the big guys are out of the holes i would guess movin around ...

Water level says 12.1 12.3 to 16.8 in my area that a 4ft rise out on the missouri in St Charles you guys should be slamin soon!:wink:

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use goldfish for flats we do catch a few blues with them but flats really light them up.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have used them for years on my jugs. Problem is finding them within a reasonable price. I was in "Pauls" baitshop once an saw them selling 8 inch goldfish for $10.00 each!!!!
    Used to be able to get them years ago up in Alton & Grafton for around $8 a dozen for 3-4 in' ones. Haven't check the the prices around here for some time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  15. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    im not trying to plug my own shop so i wont say the name but its 9.00lb we got all sizes so if you need some PM me .

I went out to night i took 9 gold fish along with fresh big head,Skipjack and shad...

i got 2 one on fresh shad and 1 on fresh skipjack. 1 was maybe 10 the other was 9 .... it was a good night but the water around me is moving crazy fast...

50hp jet 17ft simi v @ 90% throttle 10mph going up the missouri in the dark... dun dun dun... First time boat owner mistake i was just going down the river looking for a certin rock dike then all the sudden i seen the Mississippi i was like omg im about 5 miles past my boat ramp and by the it was a mad house .Turn around and it was like my boat wouldint even push against the current and it raised at least 3 feet while i was out there. I was so damn scared but i made it back and im looking for the best lights i can get lol!

ill tell you what .. ive had guns in my face been car jacked had Near death crash all kinda stuff but nothing scared me more then when i turned the boat around to head back up river and it didint even move with 50% throttle...:crazy:

All i could think about on the way back up the river was the motor dieing or running out of fuel ect... i ran the boat on about 38.1 due to its on a fresh rebuild so i was told to run it a little rich..

16. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats the problem with jet drives, you use a whole lot of throttle to go anywhere. i hear it makes it tough to mark fish without scaring the hell out of them, but i bet it gets those asians up outta the water.