Big blue catfish on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bck1006, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went out Saturday morning in the alton pool and caught a few around 5-8#'s and then went back that night and didn't have much luck.We had ran out of skippies, so we tried a small asian carp.It was out for about 20 mintues when the line spooled off the reel and the big boy ran.About 20 minutes later we had him in the boat.Here is my buddy's dad with the fish.He weighed 72 lbs and he was FAT!

I was wondering if anyone else had used small asain carp for bait before?Thanks and let me know

Attached Files:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great Catch and thanks for sharing. Yes, I regularly use the asians and have some good results off of them. I still prefer the skipjacks and mooneyes, but I do prefer the asians over shad.

3. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We caught quite a few asians that were 5 to 6 inches in our nets this past weekend that worked out rather well. I grabbed the wrong net and ended up giving it to Cuz out on the water with a few bannana nut bread crumbs in the case! I just could not get the hang of throwing that 7 foot net, so put it to good use! Gary and I both broke the bananna spell that Cuz had put on us catching a few around 20 pounds. Once again.. Had a great time either way.

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    NICE FISH! IM FROM IOWA AND I WOULD LOVE TO CATCH A BIG BLUE LIKE THAT...I MAY HAVE TO MAKE A TRIP DOWN THERE SOMETIME WE DONT HAVE MANY BLUES WHERE IM FROM...

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    That things a HAWG!