Big Blue Catfish on Badin

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well guys I saw a huge bluecat caught on Badin Friday morning. I saw these guys anchored out and as I went by them they waved me over. They asked how much my fish scale went up to. I pulled up along side them and weighted their fish. they had it on a striger until it could be weight. It weighted out at 75lbs on my scale. Nice fish. Caught on cut shad.He said they had a heck of time getting it into the net. Well with the water going up the flats should start bitting soon. See-ya.

2. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    That's awesome. Were you on Tillery thursday? I was out there in the white Lowe. I work with CMJ and have been trying to learn from him. He sent me the picture of your 68 lb. from a few months ago.

Being new to catfishing beyond chicken livers, I am trying to learn a lot quickly. Any tips on flatheads?

Thanks,
    John

3. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I talked to a guy today that said the big fish was kept. I wonder how old it was.

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well the flats should start bitting soon. In April they will bite cutbait and live shad. In May-June your better off using live bream or whiteperch. The flats make a big run up river in April-June. I usally fish around rock structure, ledges, or near flats with deepwater close by. I usally have downlines and use floatrigs. It takes alot of patience fishing flatheads. I also step on on the rigs I use heavier line and rods. If you hook a gaint flat, you better be ready for it. Thier the strongest freshwater fish out there. A real challenge.

5. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Jf,

Both Robert and I were just upstream of you on Thurs. I was in the white center console, and Robert was in the Starcraft.