Big Blue Catfish In the James!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Ron Flournoy, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Ron Flournoy

Ron Flournoy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :) I have been fishing for a couple of years now in the James River, Va. for big cats. Let me tell you, they are in there. Dec 21, 05, four caught in four hours on rod and reel using fresh cut shad. 47, 49, 51 and 61 lbs. Two were on at the same time, what a mess to control from a boat. Three weeks later I caught a 70 plus blue. Weight scale won't register above that. O well something else to buy. Water discharge flows around the back of Dutch Gap power plant, temp in winter stays about 63 degrees back there. When current is flowing out the big ones swim into this area. It's a perfect combination to lure big cats into a feed. Local newpaper reports every week on catches that are reported. Must be 25 plus over 30 lbs. The James is quickly becoming famous for these large fish. There are so many it's hard to believe. Cold as can be but man it is fun! Still searching for my 100 lb.plus blue.

I'm patient, I'll get him.

Ron F.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Ron, it seems like the biggest blues have frequentl and consistently been coming out of the James. It also seems like most of the guys that fish the James are pretty experienced hawg-hunters. I would definietly like to take a trip out that way some day and give it a try :0a23: Good luck in catchin' that 100-pounder!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah the james river is definitely famous for those big blues now. I'm gonna have to fish there sometime soon. I got an invite from someone that fishes there to go this winter, I hope I get to go.:cool:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hands down the James is I think the best place to catch a 50+ in the country.The mercury advisory protects the big ones somewhat and the guides are pretty much all catch and release fishermen.Thet are trying hard to protect the resource and their business by putting the big one back.If you live in NC and SC you should absolutely not go much longer without getting up there.A guide friend of mine sent me pictures of 4 fifty + fish he and his brother had on at the SAME time.The fish looked fine but the fishermen were a mite tired though.

5. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    that'd be the river i fish

hands down one of the finest catfishing rivers in the country .. the tidal portion gives you a great shot at a true giant while the upper portions have sizeable flatheads to chase with some channels mixed into the bunch

in 2 years i've had 50 fish over 20lbs landed in my boat

my personal best is my avatar at 73lbs and just like you i'm after that new record .. that 100lber is out there Ron lets get him!

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am planning a trip down south over Labor Day weekend. I want to hire a guide. At that time of year would you recommend the James River or Santee Cooper (Marion and Moultrie)?

Thanks in advance.

7. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    while big cats can be caught all year the best fishing is from the end of november until around the end of march

fishing is much slower during the warmer months on the james

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Welcome aboard Ron. The James is an awesome fishery. This is my first year hawg huntin the river and, frankly, I can't get enough.

Check the Virginia forums. Lots of James R. info posted.

/Scott

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There was a segment on blue cat fishing on the James River today on an episode of "In Fisherman" (on the "Men's Channel" network). They were fishing with a guide I think and caught 2 50 lb'ers and a 70 lb'er - quite impressive; just wish it wasn't 800 miles away...

10. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Killer man ; now I gotta go !!!! I wonder if my company has any openings for an internal transfer over there ? Whats the job market like over there for someone in the wireless industry ?

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Infisherman tv show last night showed them catching huge blues on the James river. It just confirms what I've been reading on the BOC about that river. I'm getting the itch to go up that way before too long and try it.:cool:

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    muskyman - coming from me as an "ex californian" It beats the left coast hands down, IMO. There is plenty of work available near the population centers of Richmond, Hampton Roads & D.C. The salaries aren't the same (except D.C.) but the cost of living isn't as bad either.
    /Scott

13. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Tommy, it think that it would be a hoot if a few of us from SC made a road trip up that way, whataya think?

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    patman, that would be a hoot, but unless my luck improves, I don't think there would be a danger of damaging the fish population up there. I have heard so much about it and the cape fear, and one day before long, I want to try them. Maybe after school is out for the summer, I can work in a trip up there.

15. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Well, then, I say "Road trip!" Let's see how your schedule works out and then we'll put something together. Anyone else wanna go?

16. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Come on up guys - if you need help getting started in the right direction just let me know. I'm FAR from being a James river expert but I'll certainly do my best to put you on fish. I can't speak for others but I'm sure a couple of the other locals will do their best to help you out.

To pick a good weekend, look for a few days of consistent cold weather to put them back into their winter pattern. Right now it a little tough because we've had such mild weather. They're obviously still there, but the fish seem to be more scattered making it hit and miss.
    /Scott

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This is getting interesting. I need to look ahead and see what is going on - may have to wait for Easter break, 'cause I know my g-son won't want me to go without him. I'll have to check the school calendar. As for the fish being scattered, we are having the same problem here, due to the warm-up. I've really struggled lately to find fish.

18. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Scott, I'm off during the week - and I believe Tommy is as well. Would a trip during the week be better so as to avoid all the weekend warriors?

19. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    weekdays are much better

i normally fish during the week myself so i'd be more than happy to show you guys around and get you on some fish

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Scott and John: thanks for the info and the offer. I'm going to look at my schedule really hard and see if I can get up there sometime in the next few weeks, and maybe Patmansc can make it too.
    I'd like a little info pertaining to the best places to launch, water depth for anchoring, etc, and bait availability. Just looking on the mapping program on my computer, there isn't a lot of (nearby) lodging along some areas of the river. Would it be better to lodge near the Richmond area, or more toward Norfolk area?
    What areas do you guys mostly fish? Are there some obvious fishing regulations that I should be aware of as far as catching bait, number of rods, etc.?