BIG blue catfish in Drake Harbor LOZ

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Wanda BARNER, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    Saw a big blue on the rocks in Drake Harbor. He was 52 inches long and 12 inches between the eyws. Had been dead a while , I did take some pictures , but would not do such a fine fish right. Just wish he would of ended up on someones 8/0. I wonder what a fish that size would of weighed?

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    cody a local young guy told me someone caught a blue cat around 70 to 80 lbs at the harbor ..

was it fillet out or just dead ????

maybe they kept it too long before releasing it ???

3. 270shortmag

270shortmag New Member

State:
    Olathe Ks
    Hate to hear that. That was a good fish.

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I hate to hear that Wanda! That fish would have weighed 70 to 75 lbs. What a shame. If someone caught it I wish they would have just took pictures and then let it go.

Tom

5. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    its a darn shame that it had to happen to a trophy like that a boc person would not of let that happen RIP big boy:embarassed:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, that IS sucky! :sad2: They do all eventually die too, so there is a possibility that it just croaked of natural causes...but it probably wouldn't end up in the harbor if it did. About every time I'm there, I see big dead cats. Not THAT big, but big enough. People should either dress them, or let them go unharmed as soon as possible. Just letting them die is senseless.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I would sure rather that fish be cleaned and eaten than to die like that and not get used for anything. It happens though and I'm sure that fish lived a good long life.

8. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It sucks that the fish died. Would be nice to know if it were from old age or what. Just the stress of being cought on an old fish like that could have been the final blow even if it were returned immediatly to the water. My buddy broke a good one off like that a couple months ago. He got it to the boat and didn't think his wife could get it in the net so he tried to grab it with his hand and away the fish went. I atleast hope someone appreciated being able to catch a fish like that.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a bad deal. Hate to hear that

10. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    i was telling a guy at work who fishes down there all the time about what you had witnessed and he said his cousin caught a 78lb blue drifting fishing the channel up by the damn about a month ago, he said he knows he would have skinned it because he dosn't let anything go back. That is my best guess but im sure the fish you are talking about is probably more recent.