Big Blue Catfish From The Bank?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by flying_v_64, Dec 3, 2008.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm primararely a bank fisherman. Is it possible to catch trophy blues fishing a lake bank? I've caught some nice blues on Monticello Reservoir in SC bank fishing but nothing close to what I want. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

:006:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think anyone can catch trophy fish from the bank, of course its just easier to put yourself on the fish from a boat. Whenever I bank fish for blues, I am always looking for bait fish. I would say if you can spot the area where the bait is, the blues will not be far behind. Your bound to land a trophy blue cat at some point. If I am not mistaken, wasn't the world record blue before this latest one caught from the bank?

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  4. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Bill for the article link. One thing I noticed is that the link didn't specify the weight of "Splash".:big_smile:

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Vic, the Blue in my avatar is a 30lbr, as you can see, it was caught bank fishing. It was caught on Milford Lake resevoir in Kansas. That location, we call the "cliff" is adjacent to the old river channel, we cast out into about 40' foot deep water. We've caught lots of Blues there, this was the biggest in that location though. In the spring we fish shallow 4-5 feet and catch some real nice Blues, in winter, we go deep, on occasion 60+ feet in front of the dam, as stated, where we find the schools of bait, in our case, gizzard shad.
    Which is Catoon fishing.
    Good luck and Merry Christmas.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Splash weighted 121 # BIG !!!

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If I remember right 2 of the last 3 world record blue catfish were caught from the bank. There was the 112lb blue from the Cumberland River in TN., and then Splash 121lb from Lake Texoma Tx. The blue in my avatar was caught from the bank on Lake Barkley in KY. I look for areas on the lake where the old river channel comes close to the bank and has baitfish present.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are lots of big fish caught from the bank,My father in law Lives in Eastern OK He fishes from the bank more than a boat,He catches fish in the 40-70 lb range regularly.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can absolutely catch big blues from the bank. I only bank fish here in Illinois on the Mississippi near a dam. I have caught quite a few in the 20-30 lb range and had a good day this year and caught a #45 & #48 on the same afternoon. I know there is always a chance to hook into much larger blues in this area. I have seen photos of blues in the #70 to #80 range caught in this area from the bank. I think the most important fact is to fish an area with steady water flow, like a dam. If an area has plenty of baitfish, there will be plenty of blues around. No bait, no blues. Good luck.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been a bank fisherman all my life. I have caught some real dandies from the banks of lakes and rivers. I prefer the lakes because I am more familiar with them. The thing to look for like mentioned earlier is to find deep water where the channel runs closer to the bank. Perhaps look for rockie points and bends in the channel. If the bait fish are present....so are the bigguns!!! Here are 3 really nice ones I have caught this year from the banks of Lake Barkley in Western Kentucky.

1. Bluecat 47.9 lbs ( Nov.13 2007)
    2. Flathead 43.1 lbs (April 2008)
    3. Flathead 67.2 lbs ( May 2008)

I have always caught my best Bluecats on fresh Bluegill heads and guts
    I have caught my Flatheads on live Bluegills.
    Skipjacks is always a great bait too!!! Good Luck to You Brother!!!:wink:

Attached Files:

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres a picture of one of our Tuesday all-nighters. We put up tarps with all the accomodations of home. We go after the big cats every Tuesday night of the year. Our rods are set in rod holders just outside the tarps with the clickers set on and we just kick back and enjoy the good life....Catfishing at its best...from the Bank!!!!:wink:

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Most of my life I have bank fished small lakes and ponds, I had never caught a Cat bigger than 7 or 8lbs. but this year I decided to try fishing the banks of the Mississippi River. Being a rookie, a beginner at fishing heavy current was a huge challenge and after many trips of not catching a single fish and only getting hung up constantly I started getting very frustrated and discouraged. But I hung in there, kept learning, and trying and eventually started doing what it took to catch some fish. Now I am certain that the bigguns can be caught from the bank but it just takes dedication and patience. Below are the 3 biggest that I caught from the bank this year. 2-28 lbers. and a 23.

Attached Files:

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice set up and nice fish.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I believe the Kentucky state record blue (106 lbs) was caught from the bank also at Cannelton dam. The same guy also caught another blue cat that same day just under 102 lbs. Both from the same spot.

15. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    WOW John those are some sweet flatties. Way to go Bro! I also loved the little "Catfish Hotel" you set up in the other pictures you posted. I'm shure plenty of Coors light was served! (LOL)

16. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey guys I just bought a Garcia 6500CL Saturday. Ordered a MH Ugly Stick Tiger yesterday. I'm gettin' pumped to catch some big 'uns!
    I need a bruiser to display on my avatar photo.:wink:

17. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I just got hooked again on fishing for big cats and I just ordered two

MANUFACTURERAMERICAN SPIRITSERIES NAMECATFISH NITE STICK PRO SERIESMODEL NUMBERONG-761MHSTYLE OF ROD7'6" CASTING
    And two [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500C3 Camo Baitcasting Reel
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]• 2 Shielded Stainless Steel Bearings
    • 1 Instant Anti Reverse Roller Bearing
    • Precision Swedish Brass Gears
    • Carbon Matrix Drag
    • Chemical Nickel Coated Levelwind System
    • Six Pin Centrifugal Braking System
    • Line Out Alarm
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Can't wait to use them! Good Luck! May your next fish be a monster!

18. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    SWEEET! Good luck with those Tim!

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You're gonna love those Nite Stick Pro Model rods! I've got 4 of them and wish I had 4 more (when I get some spare cash I will:wink:) I've got cats up to around 70+lbs with them and they work great for tight lining with circle hooks or using clickers and J-hooks for those wonderful flatheads! I promise you're gonna love them.