Big blue catfish at Cabelas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Oct 13, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Does anyone know how much the blue cat in the tank at Cabelas weighs.
    I would guess him between 70-80lb but kindy hard to guess him behind glass.
    And does anyone know where and when he was caught.

By the way Keith and Dan i seen your picture's posted on the wall of fame.Good looking fish and pictures.

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ya didnt see my pic up there too ??

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Tom there was supposed to be 100lber put in there this year that a husband and wife caught on the MO. river. But the one that was in there last year they said was 83lbs.

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    which cabelas? a friend of mine caught a 101 pounder that is in the cabelas in blue springs.

5. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    There is no Cabelas in Blue Springs

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was talking to a guy when I was there on Sunday and he said that last he heard it was 95plus. They also just put in a new one that is white not an albino just a white one. I did noticed the big boy was not moving much and hanging around the top the entire time I was there.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Dan....He was hanging around the top the whole time we were there also.HOPE he's not on his last leg.

You know i love to see them big fish, but not sure i agree to bring them out of the rivers and lakes to live in a glass tank like that.

There was a thread on taking fish out of public waters to put in privite ponds.Guess this is about the same.I just dont think a wild fish of this size would adjust living in a tank no manner what size the tank is.

Just my thoughts...Dont want to start a war on this.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom, you made people come out of the woodwork.LOL!:smile2:
    I agree with ya. Especially blues. They need moving water and tons of food. I bet they dope them up on something so that they loose their natural predation instincts. I bet they loose alot of weight too, unless they supplement them with feeder food.:smile2:

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'm up in the air about it. In a way it is cool watching them but then again they love to roam and that is not happening in the tank. I do enjoy watching the Flatheads it gives you some what of an idea on how they sit and what not.

I did see a sign saying they were looking for new fish for the tank.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thank you.

Did hear a cool story about one morning when one of the guys was coming in to work he said he always goes in to the tank area before hitting his dept. Well that morning he looked over and the big Flathead had a 4lb plus Largemouth hanging out of its mouth. They had put it in the tank thinking it was safe. Guess not! :smile2:

11. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thats the main problem there. I bet they pay money or give gift certificates or something. At least a little publicity. Now you will have every Tom(no pun), Dick and Harry out there trying to get one by any means neccessary.
    Maybe they should get replica mounts. They dont have live bear and bucks in there.:smile2:

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    That would have been cool to see and funny at the same time. I have always wanted to see them grab it. He was probably just a minute shy of seeing him take it. Thats why I wonder if they dope them up. They would eat all of the other fish. Maybe they just keep stockin the ones that disappear?:smile2:

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Oh good point the sign did say the fish must be caught by legal methods. So that will stop them from getting them by any means.:wink::smile2::big_smile::eek:oooh:

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Why doesnt the KDWP just take their electro shocking boats and get one for them?:smile2: They act like they could use the money.

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I don't think the amount of money that Cabela's would pay would compensate
    KDWP for the kind of personel they stack on a boat. Then again wouldn't
    you like a little bonus money for shocking up a near record individual? Would
    that make the hand quicker and the eye sharper that evening?

Probably the reason the blue looks disoriented is that there is no current to
    be felt in its new environment. With just a little more thinking, they could
    come up with a system of recirculation pumps that would mimic a mild
    current and the blue would live longer and act more natural. Don't think
    they sedate them, I think the fish just doesn't know how to act in this new
    setting. Leave them folks a passionate note about giving them river fish
    the illusion of a current and drop their feed in upstream of them. I bet they
    will perk up and the show would be worthy to film.

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Here are 2 pics from the trip on Sunday to the fish tank. First one she was was telling me to look and then a kid screamed and she looked away as I took the picture. The second was a pic of the Blue behind her.

Attached Files:

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Ahhhh! She is a Cutie!! She is gonna wanna go get her one of those fish pretty soon. A couple more years.

18. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Ok I'm not trying to start a fight but alot of you say that without current blues are lost. In bigger lakes like milford is there enough of a current that blues can detect it? If not then are those blues lost?

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I would say that they do best in rivers and reservoirs. Milford has a pretty big river running into it. The current isnt really noticable to the human eye, but it is there. I also think the forage has a lot to do with it. They follow the baitfish.
    One reason the KDWP is leary on stocking them in waters where they are not native is because of the migratory nature of blue cats. There is a good chance that during high water the blues will leave the lake out of the river. Kinda pointless to stock something that is just goin to leave anyway.:smile2: They have tagged some that have traveled mind blowing distances. They are always on the move.

20. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Kyle, I think she wants the big fishy now. That's the time frame most little
    gurls operate on, I can tell you from observing all my little cousins.

Flatheads are also becoming known for their wandering nature. These critters
    will flat move out of a minor river system and crowd into a huge deep spot
    in a major river every year if the conditions are right. Some individuals have
    been tracked going upstream over 110 miles to get to a preferred wintering
    site before it freezes over completely. Other species tend to live out their
    lives within about 5 miles from where they hatch, though,and only spawn
    if the place smells like home. Remove cover and they don't even have the
    urge to spawn when the temperature warms up in the springtime.

Casey, blues feel currents we can't even measure properly. If I was in the
    water, the blues in Milford could smell me from here. No kidding.