Big Bird scores new PB!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, I was fortunate enough to be invited by Big Bird on a fishin' trip to the highly acclaimed James River in Va. I didn't hesitate long before I agreed to go. When got there Friday, there was not a cloud in the sky, and I suspected that conditions were not favorable to do much good. After several hours of fishin' hard, my suspicions were confirmed. We only caught two small blues. As we loaded up the boat, we talked to several local fishermen. One guy told us he had never been skunked on the James until that day. NOBODY was catching anything! Since we were "out of towners", and caught two when others failed, I figured we had done all right. :wink: We went to bed Saturday night anticipating one more day on the water, but the forcast was not very favorable for Saturday either. We awoke to gray skies, and my step got a pep back in it, realizing that conditions might just indeed be better than we had anticipated after all. By the end of the day, we had boated 14 blues, with the largest being Big Bird's new PB, at 43#. :smile2: We had met several other boats from Big Bird's Triumph boat forum. A couple of boats were local anglers. One guy had a 65, 50 something, and a couple of 30 somethings, and another had a 60+ and a 28. As for numbers, we blitzed the field with our 14 total fish Saturday, but once again, a few larger fish were caught. All in all, not a bad outing for the two of us who had never laid eyes on the James. All the fish were so fat they looked like they would burst! :eek:oooh: I've never seen bait in such abundance, anywhere! On one cast of the net this morning, Big Bird caught nearly 100 threadfin shad! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Our bait of choice was two threadfin hooked through the eyes, with one fillet cut on each to make them bleed. The "local" anglers use bait up to two or three pounds!!! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: I guess that's why they ended up with less, but larger fish. We saw Canadian geese by the thousands that blackened the sky. The whole river system is an amazing conglomeration of wildlife. I would urge anyone who has not been there to make the trip for a few days when you can. BTW: We saw some anglers today who caught NO fish, so I guess we represented SC quite nicely! :wink: The folks there could not believe that we had never been there, and did so well. The only downside was a warning to eat NO blues from the river due to PCB contamination.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    sounds like one hay of a adventure!! thanx for sharing that

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report and pics Bill :cool2:. One of these days, if I live long enough thats one of my go to places after i'm retired.

4. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Sounds like a nice trip, i have traveled across it before and it looked like a great place to fish.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Sounds like a nice trip, i have traveled across it before and it looked like a great place to fish.>

There's no question in my mind that it is one of the top fisheries on the east coast. It would certainly be no surprise if a world record eventually came from there, with the bait being in such great abundance. HUGE fish are pretty routine there. I was hoping that tomorrow's Richmond Times would read: "SC angler nets new Va. state record", but it didn't happen THIS time! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wow that sounds exciting ! Sounds like you guy represented SC just fine ; )

Congrats on the pb BigBird. That's one fat fish Sure you guys didn't use bowling balls for bait ?
    -Jim-

7. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Thanks for the report Bill. I for one can attest to this superior Blue cat fishery first hand. Living only 1 hr from its banks and fishing it for over 25 years. well done on the PB :smile2:

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill, I was at the Monster truck "Monster Jam" with my boys last night when you called.
    Bigbird.... Congrats on that pb blue - that dudes' been eatin' good! :crazy:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Bill, I was at the Monster truck "Monster Jam" with my boys last night when you called.>

I did my best to stir you up, Bill!! :wink::crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

Bill in SC

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Congrats to you and Lindsay on a super trip, Bill! I got my first 43# blue up there, too. Where did you guys launch from? That's a super good place to fish. Hope to get back up there one day. :smile2:

11. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Glad yall had a good trip and congrats on the PB BigBird.:smile2:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We put in at Deep Bottom, Tommy, and caught most of the fish at the 295 bridge.

Bill in SC

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good deal, Bill. Believe it or not, I also caught my 43# blue right there near channel marker 150, just upstream of the bridge, in about 30' of water, on a cloudy, windy 22 degree morning. We launched from Dutch Gap on our trip, though.

14. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Congrats on the new PB Lindsay:wink:,I too would like to get up there someday and try those waters.

15. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thats a great report Bill!:wink: Ya'll guys did great. Congrats to Lindsay on the PB hog.

16. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    We didnt know what to expect before going to the James but figured having a background in fishing a few rivers thought that we would figure it out. We talked strategy on the ride up.
    I can tell you that the James River is sensory overload for the catfisherman. Gobs of bait everywhere. Most of the locals want to fish with these 12" gizzards but threadfin and small gizzards were all over the place at Deep Bottom. I have never gotten bait so easy in my life. It wasnt the huge gizzards but fine bait none the less. No wonder the cats get so big.
    There were so many good spots to fish. We fished hard on friday with only a couple to show for it. We were starting to wonder if the James was going to get the best of us. We figured the fish werent cooperating do the the weather so scouting for saturday was the remainder of the day.
    Not knowing where the 'good spots' were we found a few places with bait moving through in about 25 to 30' of water. The blue cats seemed hard to hook becuase they seemed to be moving up current following the bait. Often we got bites on several rods at one time.
    The 43# rod went down while Bill was pulling in and we netted a 15#. I was reeling in the 43# as he tangled up the remaing lines while Bill was handling his fish.
    The strange part after I landed him he had eaten the bait and had Bills hook in his mouth as well-so he can actually be Bills catch too.
    We even got to do the barge scramble a couple of times. That is kinda intimidating for a couple of carolina boys.
    What a great place to fish. I wished I lived a little closer.
    I think we did well considering we didnt have any experience on the river.I definitely want to go again soon.
    I have been stuck at 39.5# PB for a few years,due to living out of the country for a few years but finally getting a reliable fishing ride in 2008.
    My goal was to break 40# in 2008 but came up short. Good to get it out of the way in Jan 2009. Hoping more of the same in the remainder of 2009.
    Any of you Va guys need a partner-give me a call.

17. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    That a good report SC guys..
    mikeb.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The new avatar is great, Lindsay!!

Bill in SC

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    You two did a good job of representing! I hope you had in your partials or dentures, which ever you use. :smile2:
    Bill, I got your message while taking a 3 second break between OR cases, Man I was fired up!! I love what I do, but talk like that makes me want to quit my job, grab my poles, hook-up "Miss Flattie" and head for the water.:eek:oooh:

Lindsay, You ROCK!!! :wink:
    If there was a more deserving and dedicated catsmacker out there, I haven't met them yet. I'm glad you scored BIG, 43lbs. BIG!!! Nice avatar too. You are right this is gonna be your year..............year of the "Birds"! I like the sound of that there now!!!!:smile2:

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A big congratulations to the both of you on a good day of fishing. Sounds like it was a blast. Congrats on the PB!!!!!:wink: