BIG BIG BIG Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kscathunter, Jul 31, 2006.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I read were some of you use bait fish a pound or more, and I was wondering how you fish them? I'm pretty shure i could lob a pound carp out but how to keep it put? any input.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use cutbait that size sometimes, but not live bait. I use up to 8oz weights to hold it down at times.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think most bait that size ends up on a limb line or trotline, but I’ve used it on rod and reel with a 12oz bank sinker. A fish that size will move it around some before he calms down, but hopefully not into a snag. My one catch on a bait of over a pound was a 27lb flathead.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when i use a bait over a pound i will use a BIG sinker, trim its tail and fins, use a stinger hook, and forget about casting it, ill "place" it with a small boat or my canoe.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think Dink hit it right on the head.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah, thats how shark fisherman place their baits from the shore, they use a kayak to take it out.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Haven't used a full pound but some 3/4 lb sheepshead (drum) float beneath my katbobbers sometimes.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I am gonna fish my Katbobbers soon. I will have to try this out. Thanks Shawn.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    So lop off the fins and tail put on a big fargan sinker or bobber and let it flop around all bloody till something inhales it or it snags. sounds like a plan.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never used a bait that size might give it a try

11. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dink is right on the mark. Jack.

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have used big suckers up to 16 inches and trout up to 14 inches. I use big hooks and have caught some monster flatheads on big bait. If you are using big bait you are going to eliminate alot of the smaller fish.I dont use the stinger set up but have been thinking of switching to it. Des anyone know how to use this type of rig?

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Big bait will tend to move around, I will just recast a few times.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heres a couple pics of a big sucker and a small quillback that i put a "stinger rig" on. they arent quite a pound but i thought it best to use 2 hooks on them. i like to snell my second hook rather than just tie it on. on these baits i just barely nicked the hook under the skin and took them out in my canoe. if i would have tried to cast these baits i would have had to hook them really deep so the hooks wouldnt rip out during casting, if they were hooked really deep then it would be almost impossible to yank out the hooks when setting on a fish.

Attached Files:

15. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    My pb was pulled on 3/4 lbs channel cat i broke the horns off with my hands lol, But it seem to work a while felt like i got snaged at first the the snag started moving wildly then i knew it was on,

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Biggest live bait I have used was probably a 10inch Gizzard Shad, and I didn't get anything. But I have caught some nice Blue Cats on 6-7 inch Live White Perch. I also use a Stinger hook, works very good!

17. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways put a Rod out with a BIG bait it cutt's out the baby's Big bait Big fish