Big beaver

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 7, 2006.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Heres some pics of big beaver. The one on the honda weighed almost 90 pounds and the one on the truck tailgate weighed over 70:smile2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol....now I know who you are..... :big_smile:

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Yea, I always went buy Kytrapper but it was taken on that one:embarassed: Just thought I would use my old handle, lol

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good looking hides. Do y'all have many damaged beaver up there? Down here I would say that 40% of the beaver hides have bite damage to them. What about up there?

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Probably similar to yours.....mostly old war-wounds from those "feelin' frisky" moments.

Smitty

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

So do you guys sell the pelts? Who buys them? What do they use them for generally? Does it pay much? Probably sounds like a bunch of dumb questions, but I'm curious. Got a bunch of beavers up here around the lake I fish in.

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Allen- Fur can be sold a number of ways, which applies to any furbearer. The animal can be sold "whole", it can be sold skinned, but not fleshed & dried, or can be sold "put-up" (skinned, fleshed, and dried). The less work the trapper does, the more the furbuyer will have to do, which affects the price you will get.

A trappers abillity at furhandling will also determine what his fur brings. A poorly handled (put-up) fur can bring consideribly less than one sold as whole. Trapping, putting up fur, and selling it is extremely hard work. There is a fair amount of cost involved (depending on the amount of traps you run), and how elaborate you want to set-up a furshed, if you decide to put-up your own fur. A hobby trapper could get started with a couple hundred dollars, and spend an unlimited amount from that point. lol, if you're looking at it as a way to make a bunch of money....you're in for a let-down.

Furs are used for all typs of garments & trim, hats, muffs, gloves, etc. The State Trapping Associations have fur auctions, where local furbuyers attend, and bid on your furs. A seller is charged a small comission (no matter where you sell, unless you deal directly with a local furbuyer). That's why I sell theough the State Auction, the comissions help support the State Trapping Assn.

There are also several other options of sending your furs to the large auction houses (NAFA), which can set a year sometimes before being sold. I don't sell this way, so I'm not that familiar with their operations.

And (for me) beavers are a tough critter to skin/put-up, and my least favorite to do. I don't do enough of them to get fast at it.

Lastly, the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked:smile2:

Smitty

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    these beaver threads allways get me to look:roll_eyes: lol

really though, nice beavers guys!

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What the:waaaht: :waaaht: :waaaht: :waaaht: !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt know that they got that big! I have seen a few around here and I didnt even know they had em in Arizona. I might have to start packin some heat for the night trips:lol: !

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well, with that being said. do you eat the meat? If so, how is it prepared and what could the taste be compared to?

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dameon- Personally, I never have. I keep saying I'm going to try that, along with muskrat, and BBQ'd raccoon. My grandpa was a big 'coon hunter & dad's told me of BBQ's they used to have, he said it's good also.

I've read alot of posts on different sites where people claim it's delicious. Bobcat backstrap is another I've heard of.lol....ask me later in the season & maybe I can give you better info :smile2:

Smitty

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

So you can sell the whole animal then? What about shooting them? I mean, head shot of course, as I'm sure a bullet hole in the pelt would decrease it's value if not making it worthless.

13. trapperboy

trapperboy New Member

State:
    illinois
    wow i thought the 25 pounder i caught this season was big!lol

justice

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, you can sell them whole, most will freeze them, unless they have a local buyer they can be taken to & sold right away. If you freeze them, just be sure & thaw them before sold (and not days before, you'd be best to have your "timing" just right). And shooting (as you mentioned, using a .22) is a quick & humane method of dispatch.

Smitty

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had no Idea they got that big. Do they charge you, are they mean. I can just see me being chased by a 100 pound beaver. LOL

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ohhhh.... If only this were an R rated thread, ROFL!!! :lol:

17. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol....Allen.

Danny, personally I have never been charged by a beaver :smile2: , nor chased by one under 300 pounds :crazy: , I might stand a chance against a 100 pounder ...........

Any wild animal can turn & are unpredictiable.
    Smitty​

18. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Took off to the river tonight to go fishing at about 2AM this morning... MAN!! I guess they was beavers, but what ever kept splashing around out there in the dark was HUGE! Never came close enough for me to see 'em though. Dunno it they were the reason I didn't catch much or not. You guys know if active beavers would put a crimp on the fishing?

19. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Beavers I have read never stop growing and can reach unimaginable sizes. I have seen one here in Wichita that I swear from a distance looked like a black bear. I was bigger than a 30 gal trash can. I was amazed and it stood up and I turned around and went the other way. Darn thing had to be over 4' tall and I would bet it was nearer 5'. It is a city beaver and I doubt it has any predators so is probably still around.

20. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Keep going Kent you might get 6 feet out of it.

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Just kidding brother 90lbs is big:cat: