Big Bear Lake 4/31/07

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Apr 1, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Drove out to Riverside Friday afternoon about 1:30, man was that ever a mistake leaving that late in the day considering I had to detour through O.C. to pick up my friend Donna who doesn't drive.
    The traffic was unbelievable. From my house to Donna's is about 60 miles and it took me just over two hours to get there.
    Then from Donna's house to my friend Joe's house in Riverside, about 30 miles, it took an hour and a half on the 91 freeway.
    Those of you that live elsewhere should all be glad you don't live in L.A.
    After spending the night at Joe's house we got started on the road to Big Bear Lake About 5:15 AM. As we started up the mountain out of Highland we could see the first hint of the approaching dawn. The highway (330) was clear with no other traffic except those coming down the mountain so we made good time to the lake and got there about sunrise.
    Seemed as if we were the only ones out at that hour, so we had our choice of fishing spots.
    The water level in the lake was up so we opted to fish from the public pier by the north shore boat launch. We have had good days and not so good days from there in the past. IMG_1288.JPG
    The air temp was in the mid 30's but there was no left over ice on the lake. As the sun came up on a clear sky with no appreciable wind we set up our poles and baited up with rainbow Power Bait.
    Also added to the power bait was a special dip bait mixed by yours truly that contains anise oil, menhaden oil and a couple of other oils that I'm not going to disclose.
    After about 15 minutes of fishing the first fish was caught by Joe and it was a real nice looking 2 pounder. We continued to catch a fish every now and then with Joe experiencing the best bite until about 11AM when we decided to take a breakfast break seeing as how the wind had started to blow at a steady 15MPH straight out of the west over the dam and right up the lake. IMG_1291.JPG
    We loaded up our gear and went to the North Shore Cafe for Eggs benedict and omelets.
    If you haven't been there I recommend "Joe's Special Omelet" It's made with spinach, mushrooms, sausage and eggs, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and served with a home made salsa. They have very good coffee also.
    After breakfast we drove back along North Shore Drive to find another place to fish, we figured that the guys that were fishing from the shore next to the pier would be fishing from the pier considering they started moving there as soon as we left. But it seems the wind in that exposed position was too much for them because they had moved back to where they were before we left. IMG_1294.JPG
    We went back out on the pier and fished a while longer and caught three more trout before deciding to head back down the hill.
    The drive home had a little more traffic than the drive up but not crowed at all so we made good time back to Joe's house.

2. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Thanks for the report Tom. I always enjoy your posts. I think that it is great that you are trying your own scents.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Tom.... Looks as though you did well.... that ommlette sounds great.....Its been some time for me to try fishing the lake... have to do it this summer. Hit the rock cod holes again today and did the samo thing. Big salmon grouper, chillies and barber poles....

bayrunner ray

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Tom, did not realize how pretty Big Bear is the scenary is just awsome!

Jaime

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Jaime, you should make the trip up at this time of the year. It's not too crowded and the weather is nice even if it is cool in the early AM.
    Spring is the time to catch the over winter trout from Big Bear. They are generally larger and are a nice firm flesh, almost orange in color.

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey tom great pics there dude and some fine fish, sure is lookn dry up there for this time of year, going to beheading up the soon we got a job up there for the water distric and going to be working next to the shore line thinkn of taken my poll and poll holder and do some fishn while im workn playing stupidviser lol, going to be up there a few days so i may take the boat up there and do some fishn after work out on the lake

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Tom....Always love to read your stories. It's just like being there. Nice trout too. Thanks for the story. How did your scent work out?

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey tom,

i'm just curios... do you ever make the drive down towards san diego?
    i was stationed out there for a while, and some of the best "easy time" catfish i've ever cought were on lake dixon. almost no crowd too. except for record chasin' bassers.

j.d.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Last time I was at Big Bear I was with my brother in law. We went to catch trout and he did catch trout. I was using a 5.5 foot ultra light with a mitchell 308 reel and 4 lb test line. I was using green powerbait and a size 12 treble hook. Only fish I caught all day was a ten pound channel cat. LOL He was absolutely amazed. I think I got a picture somewhere at home of this fish. Took 25 minutes to land it. We were fishing from a small fishing pier on what I will call the far side of the lake. He caught his 5 trout too. My one fish weighed more than all his trout together. LOL I guess I just can't catch anything without whiskers! LOL

10. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Now that is a job with some decent fringe benefits! :big_smile:

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Robb the scent was doing a great job compared to the straight power bait. At least until Joe spilled it all over the pier. He was more upset about it than I was. It only takes a Minute to mix up another batch. But he's pretty high strung anyway and it don't take much set him off.

J.D. I haven't been down to the S.D. area lakes since I quit fishing for LMBs. But I keep reading Brian's (Bluehunter) posts and they make me think I'm gonna have to get my butt down there.