Big bass in small pond

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fish a pond that is maybe an acre its only been there for 7 years and was stocked with small bass i have caught a number of 4 pounders and the biggest i caught was 6-7 the only way that seems to work is a live bluegill on a bobber what else do you think would catch them and how did they get that big its amazing

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    wait till warmer weather,water temp around 75, and then use some topwaters such as buzz bait or some scum frogs.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would suggest that a 3/8 oz Jig and pork frog would work now.Blk/. Blue color. A plastic worm on a 1/8 oz sinker Green Pumkin or black color. Then when the water starts to warm to 60degrees I would use a Manns minus-1 in the color of firetiger. All of this can be purchased at Walmart or local sporting stores. This should get you started. :lol:

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished a pond about like the one you fish, and there was some big bass in there. I caught several on a Booyah Spinnerbait (Chartreuse with gold blade), but the bigger ones would hit a slug Go or soft jerkbait (white). If there is alot of stickups and lilly pads there go with a topwater like a frog or popper.

5. Stoo

Stoo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It's hard to beat live bait in a pond. The bluegill sounds good to me. You can also use the largest bass minnows you can get. You don't have to have big water to get big fish.my Biggest bass and biggest crappie came from ponds. As long as there is a good food supply( minnows,frogs,bream,baby bass,crawfish) Then the bass will grow. They don't have to travel far, they just lay next to a log and wait for the food chain to pass by.

6. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I did that on a hot summer day when the bite was slow and had a 6 1/2 pounder blow up on it.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've fished tons of small ponds in Oklahoma and most anything that works on bass will work on them I like plastic worms in junebug color with 1/8 to 1/4 oz weights and the small crappie spinnerbaits in 1/8 oz in chartruse or white have been very effective

8. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    In the summer months, I have great luck using a Heddon Baby Torpedo early in the am. or late in the evening. Try using different retrieval methods to see what the fish want on that certain day! Good luck! :big_smile:

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Bluegill and be happy if a cat gets it first. :big_smile:

10. Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I fish a small pond also and depending on time of day I've had luck with spinners and topwaters.

11. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    My best luck in ponds would have to smaller baits that resemble the natural food source of the pond. 4" plastic worms, lizards, and small jigs with crawfish trailers have always worked well for me. Rooster tails are good baits too. I must say my favorite topwater lure would have to be a yellow jitterbug (for ponds), but I rarely see bass hitting topwater in ponds except for the early AM hours. Good Luck!

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Use those bluegills, stick w/ what's working.

13. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    This is true, but it's always fun to fool those guys with somethin' that isnt even real! lol Makes more of a challenge. hehe :tounge_out:

14. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    small ponds the bass can't resist berkley power worms, blue flake color, texas rig with a mustad hook
    fish it slow

joe car

15. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have to say my lure of choice in a small pond is a 6" worm. I fish pond that is not much more than an acre and I have pulled the biggest ones out on a worm (biggest being close to 8#). I also enjoy using a buzz bait, there's nothing like feeling and seeing a big bass destroy a top water.

16. Katdaddy29

Katdaddy29 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have actually had my best luck on a texas rigged worm or other soft bait

17. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    try spinnerbaits. fish them at a speed to where the blade makes a ripple at the top of the water during your whole retrieve.

18. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    My best luck in small ponds has been on spinnerbaits and plastic worms during daylight hours, but I've caught some hawgs at sundown and after dark on buzz baits. Live bluegills work well too.

19. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i got the same thing, the 2 bass in my pro were both caught on a three acre lake, sometimes people put bass they catch from other places into local places, and for a good bait none of the fish in the pond i fish will hit a lure, the only thing weve caught them on lately is live bluegill, that one on the left in my profile probly 6-8 pounds was caught on one of the smallest bluegill ive ever used as bait!.... good luck!

20. SCFishinGuy

SCFishinGuy New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Blackville
    Big fish can grow in small ponds. I have caught a 5lber out of this one pond that is about 200ft long by 125ft wide (give or take a little).

My advice is:
    If there are 6-7 lb bass in this pond, and you want to weed out the small ones, use a Culprit worm T-rigged on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. This doesn't always work, however, because I have caught many 10-12" bass on a 10" Culprit.

Another pond killer is a Senko-type bait. (Also known as a stick bait) T-rig or Wacky rig these, fish them weightless, and go slow. Another killer is a 6" Zoom Finesse Worm in a brown color. T-rig it, throw it weightless, and hang on!

If you want more tips, feel free to ask.

RD