Big bass in a big quarry

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by joe23280, Jul 6, 2007.

1. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey guys !! i need some professional opinions about what type of lures and or bait should be used to fish for big 13 and 15 pound largemouth bass they are located in a limestone quarry that is approxiamately 45 ft deep ang a few places that are 70 + . my oldest son hooked a 12 pounder yesterday but that was the only one he got all day in a 8 hour span:angry: so any suggestions would be appreciative!!! :big_smile:

2. nemad9

nemad9 New Member

State:
    wv
    ive never caught a bass that big but everything ive seen or read about catching huge bass has said to use big swim baits.

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    For big bass I will use a 12" Kulprit worm in a pumpkin seed color. I used that to catch my 9 pounder. If there are huge bass there they will bite any lure you would normal use, IMO. Its just a matter of finding them :roll_eyes:

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Try a big topwater at dusk like a zara spook, or a frog.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    During the day I would fish 12" Berkley power worms. Choose the corlor according to the water color. At night I would do most of my fishing and I would use A Black Jitterbug. (Muskie Size, 1 1/4 oz.) Use 20-30# test line and fish it slow.:big_smile:

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Slow roll a big, 3/4 or 1 oz, spinnerbait, you can vary how deep easily, white or natural colors in the day, black at night.

7. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    10" to 12" wild shiners work best in small Florida lakes.--shu

8. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Joe,
    Sorry I can't be of any help on this question. When I am bass fishing, I just use a plastic worm and bounce it off the bottom of the lake. But seeing as how deep the quarry is, that is surely out of the question.

Sassy

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Huge large mouth bass are the norm cause they have a year around growing season.They always said out there to use Big CradDads or Big Shiners.I've seen California Large Mouth Bass in pictures out there that went to 20 pounds.They were always catch and release though.They feel or use too anywaythat the Huge Bass also referred to as Hawgs are Breeders and if caught it was only for a picture and then back into the water with em. Good Luck to ya!:big_smile::cool2:

10. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    dang looks like u have a chance to catch some monster bass.Well heres a few things that might work.Since the quarry is so deep take a nice sized bobber and put a 1/out hook or just a nice sized one and then but a sinker on there.Then where ever u can find them maybe not at the quarry but find and catch some crawdads that will work u might have to wait 10 minutes for a bite.And also go to walmart and go in the fishing section and u will find a big jig head with a spinner on it they are only 1.00.

And also try a hula popper or jitterbug.And also get some rapala lures and try them thats a few good ways to catch some monster bass in a quarry.Good Luck!!:big_smile:

11. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i appreciate all your info and help in this matter !! this is the reason that this is the best forum anywhere !!!:big_smile:

12. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    joe where's this quarry at...

13. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the quarry is located in a state park called whitestar . it is in gibsonburg ohio!

14. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
  15. joe23280

joe23280 New Member

State:
    ohio
    gibsonburg is west of fremont ohio on state route 6

16. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
  17. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Howdy Joe,

I'd recommend most of the same things others have. I've used 11" scalloped broadtails (Zetabait I think they are) and have had real good luck with them especially in black and pumkinseed colors so anything along those lines may get you something.

Using a bluegill/redear/bream is pretty good too for big bass. Something else that works pretty good is a Johnson Silver Minnow. Sometimes if they don't hit it you can add a piece of porkskin and that'll do the trick. And I'd go with the Rapalas, too... the FatRap the ShadRap are both usually pretty good producers.

Lot's of things a guy could recommend and use for sure. But sometimes all it takes is just changing colors... or changing up your retrieve (if you're using artificials) which could mean a little faster/slower or stop/twitch/go... sometimes all it takes is running that same very thing over a fish that's ignored ya for a few casts... from a different direction... sometimes you've just gotta make em territorially mad and they'll hit hard and fast. Experiment and have fun!

Good luck, man!

Dave

18. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    go with live bait, try and catch your bait out of the same quarry your fishing in, now ive read and heard that when bass grow to be about that big they dont bight on impulse (they dont bight at something just cause it looks inticing) they only bight when they are feeding, now im not sure if thats true but if it helps.. but id defanitly go with live bait always worked better for me! good luck!!!!

19. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N

Frog! Frog! Frog!

Been hitting some nice ones, but no keepers yet on a small gren frog in the reeds and the shallows.