Big Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TexasCatfish, Apr 4, 2006.

1. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    When fishing from the bank in a reservior or large river, how far out do you usually fish? Do any of you guys use surf rods ect? If so what kind?

2. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey man I fish from the banks on the ohio river. I have a nine ft. cat maxxx rod w/ a abu garcia 7000 on it wich lets me launch my bait out pretty far into the river. I find I have more luck the farther out I cast. Ive only been catfishin' for two years though. You might take advice from someone more experienced in catfishin.

3. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have to agree with river_rat, the further i get my bait out the better luck i have, then again i really have to sail the bait to get it into the main channel. i, myself have only been catfishing for a year or two but i do rely on getting my bait as far out as possible.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i have most of my luck in fishing close to the bank 15-20 away the thing is to key on any structer i hope this helps

5. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with bluecatnut, i don't think it matters too much how far out it is. The key is having depth and structure. The river I fish, most of the structure is within 20 to 30 feet from the bank.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with bluecatnut.Fishing rivers may be a little different but fishing lakes and creeks,places like that you want to stay fairly close to the bank.The bank has rocks and limbs and all kinds of structure which they like to get in and hide,and there isnt much structure way out in the middle.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I fish the Ohio river from the banks and target flatheads mostly, I usually make long casts early in the evening then shorter casts after dark. I have 1 11' Ugly Stik rod with a Shimano baitrunner 65 that gets out far enough for me.

8. hunters

hunters New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just throw it out and wait. But I am a newbe to catfishing.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol i know im one of those anglers trying to cast a mile across the lake to catch fish and in some spots you really do need to do that... but i have to say my personal best channel came in 3 feet of water, maybe 10 feet off the bank or so, probably not even that far... where i fish on MD's eastern shore, most of my casts off the dock thats 30 ft out into the water are parallel to shore or slightly towards shore, though some do aim them selves to the drowned tree out in the middle of the river about 100-150 yards out there... usually landing about 50 -80 yards shy. and i've caught more fish and bigger fish closer to shore rather then further from shore...

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have been asked this before about the distance I cast out to fish. Most bank fisherman cast out as far as they can and boat fisherman cast close to the bank.....Kinda crazy huh? I just fish about 20 yards out or less. I have casted out a good distance to get to holes I know about when I was fishing from my boat. I catch just as much as anyone and I do try to keep it near or up stream from structure/holes when possible when bank fishing or boat fishing being anchored up.

11. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah, most of my friends that I go fishing with have asked, "Do you every catch anything out there?" talking about when I make casts of 150 yards or so out into a lake. I do occasionally, but it seems more productive closer in anyways. Thanks for the advice. :) River fishing is just plain better than reservior fishing IMO as far as catching a lot of fish goes, but then again I've always been a bank fisherman, so I can't reach all the spots that I would like in a reservior.

12. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    We've been having alot of luck finding the cats close to the shore. It seems they prefer the shallow waters while feeding. Im talking about 3-5 feet from the shore! We fish in a beautiful little cove off a point and been having a great time. We've been using fresh shad and baiting with 4 or 5 and gently casting out so they dont fling off and have been catching some good size fish. We've not yet caught a big one like over 20 pds though. It seems as if we cast out farther, we are more likely to catch a bass (YIKES! Sorry for saying the B word!) :eek:

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Our state law allows a maximum of seven poles. I generally use three 15' surf rods with abu 7000's and one spinning reel, two 14' surf rods, 1 aBU 7000 and 1 Abu 6500, and two ten foot poles with two abu 6000's. These are my bank poles. I crank them up and put them out as far as possible during daytime to reach deeper water, and bring them in at night. When boat fishing, I have two 8' poles with Abu 6000's. I find two is all I can control reasonably in a boat. I am contemplating going to smaller 6' poles though. My theory is that if I go big, I can either cast far or flip it off the bank. Go small, and I'm limited as to what I can do. I agree wholeheartly about structure, but water temp is important also. Sometimes that's deeper than right off bank. Gotta go were they are at in order to catch them.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When I lived in Nevada and fished what they call a river, we would walk the bank and fish as close to the bank as possible. There was lots current and the cats would hide in the undercuts of the bank. If we found a tree we would fish it hard. Not many trees in Nevada. lol

15. NWOhioCatMan

NWOhioCatMan New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only fish from banks however the rivers i fish are smaller then the might ohio river. I have never fished it from the bank but god would i ove to hook a cat half the size the some of yours. Biggest cat i have ever seen in person was 8 lbs my bro cought in the local resivor. In the smaller rivers i fish i cast about half way out and halve alot of luck. In thhe resivoirs i cast on the bank with a slip bobber and let it drift cought lots of channels.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always fish rivers, most of my cast are 40yds and less.

17. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Even tho I generally fish from the boat, I fish mostly near the banks. That's cause that's where the cover or structure is. I fish mostly in a river and the middle is too clean as a rule. The boat just gets me from place to place a whole lot better, and to places it's impossible to fish from the bank.

18. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    the only reason i make giant casts is to get my bait onto a flat that meets a point about 75 yards out, but then again, my dad has been having luck casting about 30 yards out. I'm one of those people who believes that the fish are everywhere, just picky. We've had doubles on that bite at almost the exact same time....me fishing about 50-75 yards out and dad fishing about 15-30 yards out...THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!!

19. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Depending on the situation you should have the ability to cast nice and far. The above mentioning of an ugly with a baitrunner is untouchable when it comes to cracking the whip. I own a few levelwind reel that cast pretty good but a long rod with open guides and a 4500 or 6500 baitrunner will win the contest for distince. For cats I catch most with a soft toss from shore. Fishing salmon and striper the farther the better with lures.