big baits

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Lsanders, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Lsanders

Lsanders New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Ar
    how do you hook a big skip jack head and how do you hooh a big chunk of skip jack

2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I Hook them through one eye socket up through the middle of the Skull. I like to use smaller skipjack heads. The total fish length is about 6" long. I cut the body into 1" chunks and use 2 - 4 of them. I'm sure someone on here could give you better advice though. I'm also interested in how Others do it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hook the heads through the eyes as it holds on the hook better and where they won't easily steal it.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Big Shad/Skip Heads through the eye sockets or through the pocket under the chin(bottom part of the back of the head) you could also go through the lips. Chunks through the top shoulder part or just through the top period about an inch through the bait

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Larry,
    I hook them behind the eyes in the head from one side to the other....same with gizzard heads. Sometimes, if it is on the small side, I run the hook in the mouth and out the top of the head, but that would require an 8/0 Team Cat Double action hook. I do this on threadfin shad heads, and when I have filleted one side of a shad and am fishing the whole shad (minus the tail)
    By the way, that morning you saw me at Spadra last week, we ended up with 42. Found them on a flat mainly in the late afternoon.

6. Lsanders

Lsanders New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Ar
    I appreciate all the help guys just seams like i keep missing the big ones. I am using a double action team catfish hook now and seam to b doing better but I did miss a big pull down on a skip chunk last friday. this fished striped a little line and then was gone i guess thats why its called fishn instead of catchn