Big bait VS Little Bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by stangcrazy85, Jul 24, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    just looking for some pointers mostly gills greenies warmouth bass well all of them really
    do you fish one spot with little bait then try the same spot with big bait ?? it varries for me just lookin to see what the fellow brothers use !!
    Thanks Toby

2. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Generally a big fish will eat a small bait and a big bait with the same "aggressiveness" the only difference being a smaller fish may not be enticed by something half it's size.. and sometimes- they will. It's all on a matter of how the flatheads are feeding bro. Good luck.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I like to use smaller baits "most" of the time, nothing bigger than 3to4". If I'm going after a big flathead and don't want to catch anything under 15lbs then I use very big bait. I get less bites on big baits but when I do it's a nice size flatty. This time of year I use large lively baits, the flatheads are very hungry right now.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I try all sizes. I like to use a 5"-10" bait, but I also like to thow a monster bait out along the shore and let it soak for hours.

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Im going to agree with Ken.

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use all big,small,live,fresh cut,blue gills,greenies everything I can think of..Spread em out all over the place and which ever one gets the most action then thats what I switch all my gear to..

7. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    im with on that, same 4 me!!:wink:

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol i just made this thread below lol same thread dude :smile2: mine was just worded differant, i say it makes no differance unless the bait is realy small, 3 to 8 inch same results, but wen i use big live baits i stay clear of circal hooks

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    in the spring smaller 3-4 inch baits seemed more productive, now that the water is near 80 degs. i'll use larger baits 4-8 inch til november.

10. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i will usually throw out one rod with a 3-4 inch bluegill on it and another rod with a bigger 6-7 inch bluegill and see what the fish are wanting on any given night !!!

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    good info ................... how to rig big baits I like to rig mine right behind the top fin and place them baits with a small canoe or john boat with a trolling motor then go back and sit on the bank. 10/0 king kahles and 12/0 big river hooks do the trick nicely just cant hook them as deep in the flesh is all but i have faith in them and i will continye to use them as long as they produce fish for me now this big ol bait thing olny works well for me in aug,sept,and oct, sometimes nov . weather permiting lol hope this help yall out ...sniper

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Gotta have that big bait out on 1 rod.If for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity!:wink:

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That's why I like to fish with Lenny in the spring. He uses up the smaller baits and I use up the bigger baits. It works out perfect.:wink: