BIG bait tank idea

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by savage308, Mar 6, 2007.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I live in South Texas and was considering building a bait storage tank in the back yard. I have access to a poly tank that is 12' wide X 14' tall. My initial idea is to cut the tank down to say 7' and bury it in the ground 6' deep. Insulating the outside walls but not the bottom of the tank, thinking this may help cool the water from our HOT summer months. Of course I'll have to cover it with a tin top to give it shade.

I know I'll have to add a pump for aerating and for filtration. My only concern is, "will 6' deep in the ground be deep enough for keeping the water cool?" Anyone have any experince with anything similar? Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shebl

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Heres the trick for cooling.Find a older large dehumidifier and take the back off.Inside there is a big coil hang it out the back and put the coils about half way submerged in the bait tank.If 1 doesnt do the trick try 2 maybe 3 it still is cheaper than a cooling unit and works just as well with minimul power usage.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Shelby,

6' would be plenty deep, if you really want to bury it that far. Ground temperature seldom changes below 42" and is almost a constant 65 degrees year round, give or take a few degrees. You would have to insulate the heck out of your lid though, or all the cooling you recieve from the ground will be lost by the sun beating down on the tin cover. Plus you want the sun to hit the water some of the time, to keep the water biologilcally healthy.

One concern I would have with a tank that large is catching the bait when you need it. It would be tough throwing the throw net every time you needed bait out of your own bait tank! :lol:

I would also consider leaving more than a foot above ground, if you can. I would hate for a small child or animal to fall in if the cover was off of it for a while, leave it up around 3' or so for safety you would still get planty of cooling from the earth. Just my $.02:confused2:

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    shelby you sound like you have a winner of an idea would like to see pics when you get it done and jeff is right about leaving it out of the ground for safety reasons

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Bruce, I hear ya about the possum, we used to leave old 2x6 hanging out of the stock tank, cuz all the farm cats would jump up on the lip of the tank, and fall in. The wood would give them a way to crawl out, otherwise they just swim around until they drown.:sad2:

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA HOPE IT WORKS WELL FOR YA.

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    The guy who showd me how to flathead fish did something like this. His tank was as big as yours but the same concept. He put it 4ft in the ground and left 1ft above ground. We put bait and our catch in it when we get home to late to clean fish. The pros of it....It will keep bait alive for along time!! Cons it is tough to catch your bait again:sad2:

I like our big deep live well better!!

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you're gonna dig a hole that big, why not go all out and dig a bait pond?

9. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Just an idea, but why not use something like some chicken wire cut in a round shape like your tank and let it set in the bottom of your tank with some rope tied to the edges and with some help you could pull it up like a vertical sein.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Shelby,

Make sure you take lot's of pics and keep a written narrative for us. Would be a great idea for the library and I'll help you get it in there if you want. Lot's of great advice here and I'd love to see the finished product myself. Thanks.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a 2000 gal pond outside my bedroom window.its concrete bottom and sides.has lilly pads and wateririss in pots.if you keep at least 70 percent of the top of your feature covered with shade you will be fine.just remember if you plan on keeping a lot of bait you will need a good biologicial filter or amonia and nitrates will kill your bait in only a few days.i made some holding tanks by useing 1 inch pvc. pipe.make a squre 3x3 and use replacement dipnet you canget at walmart.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sounds kinda like what i did but i used a 12 ft x 3 ft swimming pool. it sits 1 ft in the ground and 2 ft above ground.around the edges.has a 8 ft shelf that sits 2 ft in the ground, and about a 5 ft round shelf that is 3 ft in the ground where my pump sits. it holds around 2000 gal i guess never really figured it up.i use a 1400 gal per pump that i can circulate the water with or pump it into 3 400 gal tanks set up around the outside. one tank is filled with small cut pieces of sponge and lava rocks. i run 3/4 pvc the the bottom of the tank and across the bottom and drilled small hole in the pvc so that water will come from the bottom up that serves as a filter. the pvc tees off to the other tanks that hold different kind of bait. all the tanks overflow back into the pool. I keep koi in the pool. in one tank i keep bream perch small bass chubs or whatever else catch for bait. and in one tank i keep goldfish. I keep them seperate so i know what i have and so things wont get ate. I buy goldfish when they are small for about a dime each and just keep them till they are large enough to use. I have no problem with the water getting to hot or anything. I have kept over 300 goldfish in it for over a yr before. i wasted those fish changed the water and was filling back up had my water treated so it wouldnt kill my fish and came in the house while it was filling up and dozed off and over filled it flooded my back yard and killed my fish. lesson learned. I will try to get some pice on here in the next day or two.