Big bait=small fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by foreverflathead, Apr 4, 2006.

1. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    On many occasions I have used a large bluegill or similar say 8 inch and above and expecting to get a big flathead, and end up catching a 1 and half to 2 pound channel cat that I know could not fit the bait in his mouth. I was just wandering how many of you have done the same?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It has happened to me before, but I think it may have something to do with areas that we fish. If you are fishing in a hole where there arent many big fish then the little ones will take it. I have used a big bait before though and had little ones peck at it but it was too big to get in their mouth so I was never able to set the hook. But then big mama came along and took it and it was my PB. I think there is a correlation between bait size and fish size sometimes.

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    It does happen from time to time. I don't think there is really anything you can do about. Try changing spots further upstream or downstream. If a 1 or 2 pound fish is swimming around looking for food, there might not be that many big ones around to scare him off.