BIG BAIT = BIG FISH ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by twisted, Jun 17, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

something ive always wondered... does big bait = big fish ?

2. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    little fish will eat big baits and big fish will eat small baits but if your fishing for big fish you have a bigger chance of catching them on big bait.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If there are big fish in the area your fishing then yes, BUT there are times of the year that fish prefer smaller baits....Just fiddle around and figure the pattern out in the area your fishing.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    bigger baits keep the smaller fish from swallowin them, but i've had small fish try and get big baits in their mouths, i have found that in the spring smaller baits seem to work the best, and in the fall larger baits produce, might be different in your area but that is what i've noticed where i fish:wink:

5. twisted

twisted New Member

well so far the largest fish was on a chunk of large cut bait. the cat weighed 11 1/2 lbs. the larger cats have either moved on or arent biting the bait we are using anymore. average cat now is 3lbs.

the weather has been odd here too, warm one day cold the next and raining. im not sure if that has something to do with the fish not biting as much..

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    SUMMER TIME BIG BAIT WINTER TIME SMALL BAIT BUT ITS NOT ALWAYS TRUE SO SWITCH IT UP AND GIVE THEM OPTIONS.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My baits get bigger as the water temp rises. I also agree that sometimes they do want just a small piece during summer, I tend to mix sizes up.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's a general rule of thumb, not a science. I had a 10 pound blue swallow a 1 pound carp the other night. And I know a guy that just caught a 73 pound blue on a really small piece of cooked shrimp soaked in chicken blood. Go figure..

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught my pb flathead on a couple of nightcrawlers when the weather was calm and air temp of over 100. I think there are alot of variables: water temp, fishing pressure, natural prey. I do think there is something to the theory though.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    There are times when I put a big shad head on one of my poles when drifting. Sometimes the little ones will follow it all the way across the lake and pick at it the whole time. When I am done with the drift and reel in, the whole inside of the head is hollowed out. But sometimes a big one will slam it. So I don't think big bait keeps the little ones away. If you put a bait (big or small) in front of a big fish that is feeding, it will eat it. My cut baits are all about 1/2 inch wide by about 2 inches long.

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Rarely do I catch small fish on large baits but I have caught big fish on small and large baits. I caught a 53 and 51 lb blues last month on threadfin shad that were barely five inches long. Last winter I caught a 48 lb blue on a one lb chunk of skipjack. I know of a 79 lb blue that was caught on a nightcrawler........... it's all about what gets in front of their face at the time.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I met an old guy on the river one day. He was around the same age as what his fish weighed. 72 pounds. He caught it from the Muskingum river down by Devola. I ask him what he used for bait and he said a ten inch gold fish. I commented on the size thinking it was a pretty big bait. He just laughed and said; why you wouldn't invite a starv'n man home for dinner then feed him a cracker would ya? lol :wink:

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    So true Brother....lol!!!!!!! Reps:wink: