BFR .444

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by chambers bd, Aug 9, 2007.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    BIGGEST FINEST REVOLVER IN .444 MARLIN

That would be a hand canon, he,he:wink:

so what do you think would you shoot one?

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeap sure would, but I'd perfer the .45-70 model. I have shot it severla times and it's a nice gun. It's also chambered in .44 Mag, .454, and .460 too.

They make fine guns, but I'll still take my trusty old Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 over the BFR. (for 1/2 the price too!) :crazy:

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Forgot to say that the BFR's are very well balanced, my Ruger .454 provides MUCH more recoil (for lack of a better term) than the BFR .454. The BFR's are very comfortable to shoot.

Are you thinking of getting one?

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I feel the same way about these new revolvers that I do the motorcycles that will do 140 MPH off the showroom floor. It's pretty. It's intriging. It's also a mystery why anyone would need one. I don't have any desire to bed any woman who can kick my ass, or shoot any hand gun that can also fracture the hand or lend stiches to the face or extermities. If you need a rifle, for goodness sakes take a rifle. How bout a 4lb rifle with a 16" barrel chambered for the 50 BMG. It's the same principle. In a couple years you are going to see these things in gunshops all over the place; just like the S&W 29's after that craze was over. Anything that you can't wear in a holster on your belt, isn't really a handgun. It's something else. I find no comfort in seeing my gun and trousers down around my ankles. It makes for a really slow draw. I was at the range when a fella came out with one of the new S&W 500's. The rest of us packed up with him. We couldn't hear, an he couldn't see for the blood in his eyes. (11 stiches) No he wasn't a "newbie". As a boxer would say, "I got hit." I got informed. I'm no longer much intrigued....

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im with gary on this. accuracy and control are much more important. i like the big guns "oooh aaahhh" but i would not pay for one. unless i was being molested by a t-rex.

6. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
  7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Causual is just basically a .45 Colt Magnum.

As far as recoil, blood in the eyes, etc.... I can load my .45 Colt to be just as hot if not hotter than most .454 ammo.

I'm not Superman by any means, but with my Ruger .454 can shoot regular store bought shells as well as Winchester Silvertips w/ one handed, granted it may not feel good, but it can be done. Just a comparison, I've shot the S&W .500 and w/ Hornandy XJP, the recoil is the same if not less than my .454 w/ 250 grain Silvertips.

I personally don't have much use for the S&W .500, but the S&W .460, is a gun that I do like and not becasue it's big and loud, but rather that it gives you the ability ot shott three cailbers: 45 Colt, .454 and .460.

I'm a pretty serious handgun hunter w/ it comes to deer. I love my Ruger .454but also love my Colt Anadaconda in .44 Mag. If the .44 Mag guys would shoot the .454's, .500's & .460's you'll realize that the difference is no where near what people say it is.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A friend of mine bought a S&W 500,his brother asked him 'What in the world would you want that for? his reply.... Cause they dont make a .600.

9. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think a 454 would be a nice round. I can't afford all of them. But no way would I spend money on a 45-70 or 444. handgun. I like the 45-70 guide gun. But if you load em up hot it takes the fun out of it real fast.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I shot many carefully worked up to Max.by the manual loads in my Ruger Super Blackhawk.I shot them one and two handed in and either handed in different positions.Excessive recoil put the gun in a vertical position beside my ear.Some shooting my gun with the same loads ended up with the hammer doing it's thing on their forehead.I never had much use for max loads as I could find a milder load to do the job.They were few and experimental.I even considered muzzle flash for dim light use.I did learn that we all handle recoil and different guns different.A powerful .177 or .22 air gun recoil is now "a g o n y" at times and often hurts bad for days afterward.The 44 mag.never did me near as bad.I have a son in law that I call "Bear Bait" after the breath he noticed breathing down his collar turned out to belong to a "friendly" Grizzly while on a Alaskan Salmon fishing trip.Boy lived in Anchorage for several years.As far as I know,He never went bank fishing again.I understand that custom made 45-70 derringers are sought after and prized by some up there.I would gladly carry one chambered in a 460 wby.mag.with it's 8100 foot pounds of recoil or even better a .50 cal.BMG.After all,if I needed to fire it,a hand being torn completely off would be the least of my worries,as is with the 45-70 carriers."Better to have no hand than no A_ _",as I heard it put.That sounds a lot better than having to lay their while some animal eats you alive.It is bad enough with cancer under the best of conditions.Yea!Could I afford it,I would love to have one of each in every single caliber.Did have what I could afford when I was Working.I guess I still do have what I can afford.I sure do miss my guns.Could not use them if I had them,but I sure do miss them just the same!I also loved the smell,while firring and after cleaning them.Boy!IF you could just get that aroma in a after shave,or to hang on your rear view mirror in a pickup!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee