Beyond Help This Time

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by safetybass, Jun 6, 2006.

1. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Had a whole new experience with my boat motor a couple days ago. I've never seen a lower unit that blew a hole in itself from the inside out. Knew it was serious after I idled back to the ramp, shut it off and looked at the sheen on the water around the motor. When I got it out of the water (a real pain for that boat without the big motor) I saw the hole in the lower unit case. Wasn't very big, looked a little like a pencil eraser pushed from the inside and caused a little crease/hole.

I got careless with my lower unit/prop, and boy am I paying for it. I didn't think I had done any serious damage, maybe dinged the prop when I tried to back away from the bluff and backed into a rock. But when I took off down the lake, and those mechanical popping/banging noises started coming from the motor, I realized my day had just turned bad.

I guess after all this whining, I really only have one question: Why do they even bother to put those rubber slip sleeves in the prop? Or maybe I should go back to a light weight aluminum prop that will fall apart? Have to be cheaper than $100 to fix my S.S. prop, and $2600 to replace the lower unit. :crazy:

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    sorry to hear of ur misfortune larry ..... but most of us that run boats long enough get to feel ur pain also............... u may wanna try some of the dealers in south louisiana ...... they have "take off" prop lowers for sale..... folks come in and buy a motor and want jet lowers instead of prop lowers and they exchange them for a "cost difference"...... just an idea , i bought one down there and saved around 500 bucks

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like an idea worth looking into!

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You might also watch ebay. Sometimes you can get a real deal on outboard parts.

I changed back to aluminum prop for the very reason you mentioned. Aluminum props are cheaper than lower unit gears and hoursings.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    SS props are very unforgiving when it catches an object.