Beware the area below Lock and Dam 25

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 15, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Those of you that fish the Mississippi below L&D 25 will know what area I am talking about.

The area on the Illinois side of the dam where everyone goes to catch bait is extremely hazardous since the river has dropped.

Dummy me was running up there full throttle tonight and SLAMMED something rock solid with my lower end. This was downstream of the little pool and far enough into the river that I never expected a thing to be there.

No dikes that I know of, couldn't see anything above water and it was just dark enough that if there were visible signs to indicate a hazard I couldn't see it.

Anyway, be careful in that area.

I have no clue what this will cost me.:angry:

Skeg at least needs filed smooth, all 3 prop blades are totally hosed?

Boat is 1 month old. Man, this boating stuff is getting pretty pricey.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

yukk, man I feel for ya... sorry to hear about the lower end....done that a time or two, mostly with comp props.... cost less. Thats why I have a depth finder in front too.

bayrunner ray

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
  4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My "NEW" prop.:oops:

Attached Files:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OUCH! I can feel your pain brother.

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Darryl,

So sorry to hear that. It is scarry enough to hit anything when running fast, and very depressing to have to deal with the repair. Dont let it beat you though. You have been outfishing any guy I know that works the Dam #25 area.

Re: the thing you hit, I would not try to guess what it was but I have seen some things in the stretch that I will pass along...

I have noticed that a guy runs a very long trott line about 500 yards out from the dam. He has two massive steel drums (probably 30 gal size each) as floats. It is 100 yards long (how does it stay in one place??? 100lb weights???). He also has a smaller rig to the Illinois side of the dam about 200 yards down stream from the dam. I would assume both would have some mighty strong wire attached to keep the hooks in place, and the boys could really muck up a prop.

Next, there is a bobing dead head about 40 yards out from the Winfield Ferry dock. It is in about 28 fow, and sticks up only about 16 inches. It is still noticable at that hight, but quite sneeky for a guy driving this area at night.

Next, I know that there is a line of rocks starting off the mud flat on the Illinois side of the dam (about 150 yards d/s from the dam) that runs straight west for about 50 yards. It comes up to 7fow in the spring. I wouldn't guess, but thought this might have been what you hit. I dont have a gps mark for it, but can eyeball it by drawing a visual line (looking upstream) between collumn 2 of the east end of the dam, and the biggest deadfall tree hanging into the water on your right (looking towards the dam, the tree would of course be on the Ill side).

I used performance prop (St Charles) 2 weeks ago. they cost me $80, and turned the job over in 2 days. My prop was totally blown, and he was still able to salvage the thing by rewelding and painting it. I was pleased with the work.

CP

7. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    No good brother. Sorry to hear that. I didn't know of anything in that area of the river either. Ouch!!!

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You got it Chris, it was pretty much adjacent to the deadfall tree just downstream of the pool about 50 yards out.

I wasn't aware of a lot of other hazards you mentioned either.:crazy:

What is a bobbing deadhead?

9. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    It is where a near-waterlogged trunk of a tree gets stuck at one end to the river bottom, and loosely pivots up and down with the current. The other end sticks out of the surface a bit on the upstroke, and then disappears on the down stroke as it bobs up and down.
    If you catch them right with your lower unit while moving with enough forward inertia, they can pull the bottom end off your motor.

They are horrible because they don’t stick up the customary 20% like a newly fallen tree would and you cant pick them up very easily on a finder. Also, they are typically quite ridged, heavy enough to stand against the current just bobbing there.

If you do find one and if the root ball is intact though, flatties will hide in the current break.

If you see any other things like that, please let me know. I have only been fishing #25 since May 07 when the water was up. I have not been there lately since the water has gotten lower. Also, is the Cruivre Island ramp still accessable? How deep is that river?

CP

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The water level is getting down to where the river is it's most dangerous to props & lower units. I keep the throttle down anywhere outside the marked channel. When I move into a new area of water, I scout it at a real slow speed until I know where all of the submerged dams are. A lot of them were made when the navagation channel was shallower and at typical summer level they are right at prop height. The problem is that there are so many of them that its easy to forget about one until you've hit it.:angry:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I can feel your pain man. About three weeks ago I was at a lake running through some water that I know is normanly at about 25 to 30 feet deep and struck some rocks and riped my prop tp shreds like yours. I always carry a back up prop and it ain't easy changing one while dangling off the back of a toon. When you are as old as I am but I sure couldn't run that toon 4 miles back with a prop viberating like that one was.

I always turn my depth finder on now ans set it for 4 feet and run a little slower.

12. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Daggone Darryl! that is one messed up unit there. Sorry to hear. Hope you are back up and running asap!

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Took it back to Cook's tonight and Sean checked it all out, replaced prop, filed skeg down, prop shaft is still straight (thank you, thank you):roll_eyes: Got out of there cheap (cheaper than I thought at least).

So, where is dem catfish bitin' at the moment? We are ready to hit it. Just a minor bump in the road.:wink:

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

I'm glad to hear that Darryl!!!! I bet that was a big sigh of relief!!

I was up at the Alton dam last night and was fishing right in the tail race waters near the dam wall and the big yellow cylinder, caught 6 fish but not a single one was over 10 pounds:confused2: I then fished near / in the confluence and caught another small fish.

I was out Saturday night and lost an anchor in the confluence but managed to boat one 8 pound blue prior to the loss. I know the river had dropped dramatically since the greatest Friday the 13th ever:smile2: So I am assuming the water droppage has had an effect on the bigger fish's feeding frenzy.

Any how, glad you didn't mess up your boat to bad!

15. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    man do you have the luck. you cleaned that prop out!!!!!! last time my ex-wife did that it cost me 400.00 to fix everything. i got smart the boat went with her!!!!

16. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO

Well, I'll tell you what -- Cook's reputation gets more solid by the hour. Good for them, if they work that hard at keeping a customer happy then they deserve it. Glad to hear all is ok.

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Glad to hear it worked out for you! At least it gave you a chance to review your boat insurance policy...:smile2:

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sean and Drew have been doing right by me on EVERY instance I have had since I bought my SeaArk. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for a new catfishing rig. Not only do you get a very fair selling price, They have proven time and time again that they stand by their rigs long after the sell.

19. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live close to Cooks, and from all I have heard, I wish I had bought mine from them. I bought my boat in East Alton. It wasn't horrible, but...it was an odd experience to say the least.
    :confused2:

IF I need anything from here out, cooks will get a call from me. Do they work on boats there too? I've been going to Buds Place, but I could easily be persuaded to go elsewhere.

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    They do work on boats. Give Sean or Drew a call, or betta yet go by for a visit. Tell em Cuz sent ya.