Beware!! short ramps and low water!!!

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by biga, Aug 12, 2007.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just wanted to put a reminder out to be carefull on the boat ramps with the low water in many lakes... my wife and i were putting the boat in a local lake ramp that i have used many times before without a problem but with the water being down i backed down the ramp and before the boat even started to float the trailer dropped off the end of the ramp!!:crazy: but the problem is that i have a dually truck so vision is limited.i didnt know it went off the end until it was tooooo late!.. i seen the boat slide off so i gassed it to pull up the ramp felt a little resistance then it gave and came on out... well the give was the trailer twisting up .. wish i had a picture .. it was a long night!! :embarassed:

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Adam,

Thanks for the advice, though sorry you had to experence it first hand. I purchased my first boat this year, and it sure has been a learning experence. Fun, but trying at times.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you catch it in time. You can drop your anchor down, catch the trailer. Pull up on the trailer. You standing in the boat. Its easy to get a trailer to come up enough to get back on the ramp.
    Some of the guys here weld ramps in front of there wheels. That way when they fall off the ramp. The steel rails or ramps slide the trailer back up and theres not harm.
    Thanks for the heads up it can cause a good day to turn south in a hurry.
    Pete

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Ya Know... it would seem that the thing to do is to add a short wall to the very end of the ramp to keep a trailer from backing off and falling into the ever-present hole. It wouldn't have to be too tall, just a curb to tell the driver that he's at the end of the ramp.

Now, all we have to do is convince the Corps of Engineers that they need to perform maintenance on all boat ramps in low water situations.:wink:

5. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Here at the ramp in Osceola there is probly another 50' of ramp when the water level is at 0'. Just a fyi guys.

Joe

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Bill

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i had the same idea ... i am going to do it to all 3 of my trailers.. thanks!!!!

8. jedamy

jedamy New Member

State:
    mo
    I'VE SEEN A GUY RIP THE AXLE RIGHT OFF THE TRAILER