Beware of Walmart fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by flathunter, Jul 3, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using berkly big game for years.

I usually buy it in big bulk spools from bass pro, but I decided to get some from Walmart.

I bought 4 spools of 25-lb test, and went to spool up some reels.

The line was so stiff you could actually bend it and break the line, on all 4 spools.

This line had to be setting on the shelf, or in a back room for years..I have bought line from Walmart before with no problems.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jack even if it was sitting for year's on the shelf or back room .It should of still ben gOod walmart just seem's to sell stuff that is JUNK ...It's like everything there is second or thrid grade stuff= yOU EVER BOUGHT ANY THING THERE WITH A quailty control tag on it?

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, Take the spool of line that does that and send it to Berkley. Tell them the problem and that you bought 4 spools of this line (if all 4 do this same thing). They will send you some line to replace the bad line you bought. And its usually alot. I bought some 12 lb trilene on a filler spool a few years back that you could pull on and it would break. Very brittle. I mailed the spool to them and they sent me a 1lb spool of 12 lb test back with an apology for the line i bought.

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I would not advise anyone to get fishing equiptment from wal-mart..I would say send the buisness to your local baitshop...:wink:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have always heard there is no guarantees in life. What you experienced from Walmart could equally be experienced from Cabala's or Bass Pro. BUT, either of the stores would make good on the purchase if you returned it to the store and made a complaint. And that is just about the only guarantee, other than taxes or death, you will receive from life.

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I dont think Berkely would make a junk line just so walmart can sell,it would still give berkely a bad name, it was probably just a bad batch of line....it's not like the berkely big game is premium line..

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds to me like something went wrong in the extrusion process.
    A manufacturer error.

As for buying at Walmart?
    I buy quite a bit at Walmart excluding groceries.
    I've seldom had a bad experience that I wasn't expecting.

I mean, I have sense enough to know that buying a Chinese made brake caliper compresser for 7 bucks probally wont make it through the first caliper.
    I feel sorry for those that don't. Not in the sense that they feel cheated but in the sense that they don't know any better.

Fishing tackle?
    I have several ABU's that came from Walmart. They are actually better feeling and working reels then the non Walmart ones I have.
    Rods. Well I buy Ugly Sticks from them and have bought some higher end im-7 and im-8 rods from them with no complaints.

Alot of it boils down to how you spend your money.
    Tools for instance. You got junk, good, better, and best. Alot of folks buy junk and expect the best from it. It doesn't work that way. There are no professional tools at Walmart.

And to finish it off I use Berkley Big Game. From Walmart.
    Never had the first problem whatsoever with any line I've bought at Walmart.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've bought from wal mart for many years and have never had a problem. I've bought line, reels, and terminal tackle there when I can cause that is the nearest place for me to go to get what I need and don't have to send off for it and have to pay shipping costs.

I have ordered a few things over the internet too and am somewhat dissappointed in that I find when ordering just a single small item that it doesn't come to you packed well to help prevent damage during shipping. That is another advantage of being able to go to a store and buying it... you get to put your hands on it and inspect it most of the time before you purchase it.

But in lines however, I know that they are sealed and you cant' inspect em.

I find in wal mart you still need to inspect the items as well as you can... for instance a shelf item such as line probably won't get rotated as a perishable item will. Try to inspect the packaging and see if there is a date of manufacture on it and buy the newest you can find on the shelf....

also there should be a lot # on the packaging that you bought along with the date of manufacture. When you take those back and they let you swap it make sure you don't get any from the same lot just in case it was a manufacturer error.

9. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    I took off wut was left on my tidewater had 30# big game on it, thought it was strage it wasnt smooth felt like it was all knicked/twisted cant really explain it besides it just didnt feel right. Put new line on it and its just fine so who knows might of been from getting backlash and buryin the line in the reel since im new to this type of reel, just keep your eye out wally world will always take stuff back just gotta put some volume in the ol voice :wink:

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I buy almost all my Rod and Reels either online or at Bass pro shops,I have bought from walmart..as far as purchasing form my local baitshop no...they are always way too high on rods and reels.....I do buy all my Bait from the bait store and small items that i need when i am there.

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would just take my receipt and the line and return it back to Walmart. I've never had trouble returning stuff to Walmart.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Roger on this. Send it back. Berkley will replace it. Ask them for an answer for the problem also. Their quality control may have an answer.

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just like I don't go to a bar room to drink a coke I don't go to walmart to buy fishing stuff..

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I will buy fishing stuff from anyplace that sells it

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I've found some decent fishing stuff in the clearance section at Walmart, stuff that they didn't even carry on the shelf regularly. I got about a dozen packs of 6/0 and 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks for 50 cents a pack that were never carried by that store on the shelf regularly, I had to order those special from Bass Pro or Cabelas before for $2.69 a pack plus shipping. I got a nice American made landing net cheap from the clearance section too. I got many boxes of 12 - 20 lb fishing line, $2.50 a spool, and I did open that and inspect it... It is working fine. Treble hooks are cheaper there too, Eagle Claw, compared to Gander Mountain which is my other option. $3.50 for a can of 40% deet bug spray, compared to $8 at Gander for the same can.

I don't have a problem with saving money.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i love wal mart..i get underwear and stink abit in the smae place...just like home

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have also noticed that the walmarts where I live have seemed to dwindle in supplies...they dont carry the sinkers I used to get there and they dont carry the gamakatsu hooks I used to use either. I just figured that it was the walmarts in my area...

18. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    You mean the local bait store that puts on a biggest flathead of the month contest for a $25 gift certificate? The same store that doesn't have a big fish gift certificate for any other kind of fish? The same store that promotes hauling flatheads from as far as an hour away to be entered for $25? The same store that promotes conservation of all species except catfish?
    No thank you, I will never set foot in there.

19. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    Walmart sells what the item maker sends them. They don't make and wrap the stuff in the back room. If the item fails then it is the manufactures fault not Walmarts.

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its cheaper lol, but i like buying bulk, now, but not line dosent seem bulk saves money wen it comes to line