Beware of Loons at Osage

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Apr 13, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    No not the "clumsy, stupid crazy type person loon, But rather the fish eating diving bird.

I went down to osage this morning thinking I could catch a fish or two that I could tie up for Yeppa but only got two bites.One was a light hit and the other one was a good hit but i was setting in my truck and could'nt get to it in time.(Damm weather)

Anyhow while setting there three loons flew right in on the water where I was setting.I have only seen one in my life and that was in Texas.

I though it was bretty cool and one of them even sounded out his call.
    1st time I ever heard that.

Hope they are still there when we are all there,but if not there will be some of us "like me" looning people there we can watch and take pictures of:smile2:

Here's few pic

Attached Files:

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Did the Boundary Waters a few years ago and had Loons around us all week...........I love watching and listening to them!!

I've seen one in Kansas, but no "music". Congrats on the sighting and sounding(??). Wish they would swing in this neck of the woods more often!!

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the pics

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jerald and I seen one the other day, it's the first one I've seen in quite a few years on Milford Lake. The last time was on the Catoon, I was by the dam and three of them flew in, one male and two females, I did get to hear them Charllie, it's really a neat experience.
    Tom, what you seen were probably the "Common Loon"(just checked my "Bird book") they're similar to the "Arctic Loon", they just don't have as much white on them, especially around the neck. The Common male will have vertical while stripes on the back of it's neck.
    I always consider it a real treat to see a species of anything you don't normally get to see.
    So far we've seen 3 Ospreys this year already, a pair(?) and a loner. Even got to see one dive and catch a fish and carry it back up to the tree it was sitting in and eat it. To far to take movies though. Right near one of our fishing spots, so I'm sure we'll get to see it again. We've seen a few pairs here on Milford the past couple of years, they spend the summer here.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey Tom, did you misspell "mooning people" there?:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I was trying to spell Loony people,But what the heck mooning people would for sure get for pictures.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx Tom--For a while there I thought you were gonna' warn me about Jim , and J.J. (and I'm starting to wonder about you). I have never seen or heard a Loon, and hope I get that privlege.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im pretty sure i seen a few today but didnt pay too mutch attention because of all the pelicans yes pelicans. never in my life have i seen pelicans in kansas a couple hundred of them wish id thought to take pics.:eek:oooh:

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We saw a bunch on Bighill Lake last fall.First time we ever seen them there and haven't seen them since.I bet there was over 50 on the water.We saw them at night while bowfishing with the big lights on.Pretty cool looking!!

10. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I love loons I just love to watch and listen to them beginning dusk.

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    We seen a flock of pelicans outside of Wamego yesterday, They landed in a field just south of town.

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    If you make that second photo a little blurrier you can claim to have a pic of the lockness monster of the Osage:wink: Has anyone noticed sea gulls. It seems like they just started showing up a couple of years ago up here in the NE corner. They follow our tractor when we work any soil and I think they are going after the grubs and worms that we bring to the surface. I saw my first pelican last year too.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    You want to see pelicans? Come to Milford Lake, there are thousands here, pretty much ever since I've lived here (30+yrs), we also have Cormorants, Grebe's, Coots, Teal, Ospreys, Seagulls and Eagles, not to mention the Loon we seen the other day.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i didnt know Mark was out yer way, how's he doin ?? :wink::smile2:

15. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sorry J.J. I'm sharin' Topeka with you. Don't worry about your property values though. I can't hurt 'em any worse than this mortgage thing.

16. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I see them here at Clinton a lot. They're really skiddish though, and just getting within 100ft of them they take off in a panic.

17. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Never seen one in south of Minnesota or South Dakota but they're great on the grill. Kinda shaddy tastin though...... just kidding cool pictures thanx Eric

18. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Those loons at Osage are some real kamikazees. Pretty awesome to watch for sure.