BEWARE Ethanol Gas

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bluecat69, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    My engine would run fine at idle and WOT but after it warmed it up it would bog down and die when trying to get my boat on plane.
    I rebuilt the carbs, drained the gas and replaced with fresh gas, checked all my fuel lines, changed plugs, checked compression and replaced the VRO pump. I did all this over a couple of months and it still did the same thing. I took it to the boat repair shop to have them look at it.
    I was surprised to find out that with the Ethanol gas, that is pretty much standard at all gas stations now, was my problem.
    The ethanol gas and plastic carbs require an adjustment of the air/fuel mixture on the carbs. You may need a special tool to do the adjustment but once adjusted you should be back in business before you know it.
    I am by no means an expert on motor repair but thought I would share this to everyone in the BOC.

2. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Did you knowingly out ethonal in, or was this ethonal that was in the "regular" that isn't supposed to have any in it?

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Very good Worthwhile information to pass along. I wondered how it would effect outboards. so far I have not had a problem (crossing fingers) . reps to ya

4. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I hadn't heard that one, but had heard of people not using it anymore because of decreased milage in their vehicles. It must not burn as efficiently, and may be why it required the card adjustments? I have heard of potential for increased condensation problems in outboards if not ran frequently because of ethanol.

5. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I always use just regular (87 octane) but its hard to find it without ethanol anymore. I have had problems with my motor for about a year but just dealt with it until I finally got sick of having to baby it to get it on plane.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    A very informative post here indeed for those that have had or not had experiences such as this thank you.

7. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats good to know, I'll know what to look for if I get those same symtoms.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael thanks for sharing some good info. Appreciated and reps to you.

9. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I had a friend's 90 horse Johnson motor last month that came in with badly scored pistons and cylinders. The block had to be bored and engine rebuilt. The water pump impeller was in good shape. The motor was a 1997 year engine. I had some knowledgeable mechanics at a big shop that see this problem every week and they said the ethanol in the gas makes a two-stroke run hotter and the way to solve it is a reduction in the timing about 3 degrees. What will we do if they add more to the gas as they are talking about? Catfishjon

10. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    My '74 20hp Mercury had problems running ethanol gas. It caused the composite fuel bowl float to swell up and it wouldn't rise to shut off the needle! ! !
    I ended up sanding some of it off to make it fit again and I go out of my way to find just GASOLINE...........no freaking ethanol.

Q

11. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Stabil makes a fuel treatment for this purpose. Its green in color and has ethanol treatment in it. less then $10 bucks at Bass Pro, treats 80 gallons.

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    found at the local wally world a product from starbrite called Star Tron, states it cures ethanol problems, was around 9bucks and treats 128 gallons of fuel. Works on all gas motors 4stroke or 2stroke. hope this helps.

13. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use Sta-Bil Marine fuel additive,never had any problems since using it. All of the gas around here has 10% ethanol,it's just something else to deal with. Also some oil dosen't mix well with ethanol added into the fuel,if you run pre-mix fuel. Ron

14. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    When I picked the boat up from the shop they told me to use the marine stabil. They adjusted the carbs and set the timing and it runs fine now but will still add the stabil.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ethanol gas requires a retro fit kit added to carbs or fuel injection to run off it. different jets ect. they did a episode on it on horsepower may find it online. they were saying they were getting horse power gains with increased fuel consumption on e-85 that costs half as mutch as unleaded. witch may be part of the problem alot are having with older non retro engines, sounds like you may be just talking about the 10% ethanol blend but id guess it would be along the same lines.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  17. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    The repair shop said that the ethanol doesn't effect the EFI motor as bad as the carbed motor but over time they will have the same problem. Just have to keep some marine sta-bil in the gas and hope for the best or find me a gas station that doesn't have the ethanol mixture.
    Any ideals which brand (ie Texaco, BP) of gas doesn't have the ethanol mixture?

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depends on alot, some states (ie MO) just have ethanol added gas. youll have to look were you go im pretty shure they are required to display it at the pump if it has it in it and what %. i know casys has the ethanol blend as their preimum and not the regular that costs more.