Beware Buying on Ebay ....... !!!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 11, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    WARNING ... ON BUYING ITEMS FROM EBAY SELLERS ... NIB ... MEANS NOTHING!!!!!!
    Back in March not long after I moved back to Ohio ... I purchased from 2 different people on Ebay a pair of Chest Wadders and a Pair of Hip Boots ... Both items were ProLine which I have always had good luck with. I got the heavy rubber because I knew that I would be wearing them trapping. Both pair were in the box and allegedly new ... they looked new also ... I also purchased a set of boot hangers to hang them on. When they arrived I looked them over and they looked fine so I hung them up. The chest wadders I wore once duck hunting and twice trapping, until I found the water I was trapping in didn't require chest wadders. They were hung back up in the holder.

I started wearing the hip boots and they seemed to be fine for about 4 weeks ... then both both boots split where you bend your foot .... DRY ROT!!!! I have tried to patch them with several different kinds of goo stuff, but nothing will work more than a few minutes when you get your foot in the cold water.

So today ... I decided to get the chest wadder from the rack and wear them, even though the are very heavy. As I was putting them on I noticed that on the inside of both legs they were spit at about where the knee bends ... THESE HAD BEEN WORN 3 TIMES. The rest of the time have been hanging in boot rack.

These boots have gotten better care than most people ever take care of their boots .... but both pair were purchased from 2 different sources on Ebay ... I am sure that both pair had sat around in a hot warehose for several years and were sold as closeouts to the Ebay people .... I know there is nothing I can do about it now ... neither person has these items for sale at this time.

Just wanted to forworn anybody thinking about buying such items on Ebay ... to reconsider .... Garry-

2. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have bought many items on ebay over the years and always came out fine. Sorry to hear, yours didn't work out.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same with me too! Sorry you got shafted twice Garry. I've got some good deals on there.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    We have discussed this problem on another forum and have concluded it may not be the seller or Ebay at fault, but the product itself. Both pair of wadders were Pro Line .... so maybe just say don't buy Pro Line ... Had a friend tell me he bought a pair of Pro Line Hip boots from one of the major stores and they ripped the first time he wore them ... he got his money back. .... Garry-

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Stuff like those waders are the type of thing I'm always hesitant to buy used, regardless of whether it's from ebay, classified ads, or whatever; unless it's from someone I know, of course. 'Hard' items, such as fishing reels, etc., are safer to buy (IMO); and I've got a nice Penn reel I bought off ebay for a little less than half price.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man that stinks Garry. Ain't nothing good when it comes to spending money to get something of less quality or just pure junk! That would burn me too... rollo

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I have heard from several different sources that the new in box items are a lot of time like you have said, factory seconds, blems, and old stock that normal retailers wont touch...so you have to be selective about what you buy form there...
    Sorry for your bad luck..:embarassed:
    .Puddle

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    If it ain't got lacrosse on it, put it back on the shelf. I have waders I use every year for 20 years patched and ragged but still in use.:smile2:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never trusted ebay to buy anything, I dont have a reason.

Many times I looked at prices they had on new abu garcia reels, and most of them were at least 20 dollars more than I can get them elswhere.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive bought several things off from ebay without any problems

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear you were screwed twice ! cold feed is not good !!!:sad2:

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My last 3 pickup trucks and my wifes Cadillac come from Ebay. I like that outfit. Only was shafted once and that was on some fishing line. lol