Beware---Big Head Carp In Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CATFISHPAT, Jun 14, 2006.

1. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey bud can you show us what thy look like?

2. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yea lets c some pics of em so we can identify them

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is some information about the Big Headed Carp.

FRESHWATER ASIAN CARP / BIGHEAD CARP
    Colloquial names: bighead, big head carp, noble fish, speckled armur, lake fish, tongsan,Chinese fish

Scientific name: Hypophthalmichthys nobilis

Size: Deep bodied fish with tiny scales and gray to black blotches on body, which gives them a speckled appearance. Bighead can reach 60 pounds or more. A 4 year old fish may weigh up to 20 – 25 pounds. The primary market size is for 6 to 12 pound fish.

Status: Big head carp have been reported from within, or along borders of, at least 18 states in the United States. Harvest from commercial fishermen has been somewhat erratic, but future marketing efforts could change this dramatically.

Nutritional values: Bighead carp is an excellent food for human consumption. Not only tasty, but healthy , too. They have less than 2 per cent fat, plus loads of calcium and high in protein. They also contain no carbohydrates and they are high in omega-3 fatty-aids. The processed flesh is bland and light in color.

Features and benefits: The many bones are what have kept bighead carp out of the U.S. fresh fish markets, except those frequented by Asian shoppers. World wide, this Chinese delicacy is the most eaten fish, and it’s considered the Cadillac of fish in Asian countries. Product feature is firm, clean, and slightly translucent with metallic sheen like that of whitefish and trout. Product taste is not fishy, similar to pollock. Will readily absorb spices and marinades. The large head is desirable prepared in soup.

Product forms: Ultimately, price stability and expansion of the market for bighead depend on the development of new processed products. We can process bighead carp into these forms: frozen head on and gutted , frozen skin-on or skinless fillets ( I.Q.F. or block), and mechanically deboned ( minced). Product form of minced may be used in fish sticks or patties, fish cakes, fish paste, fish soups, fish surimi, fish jelly (kamaboko), or dehydrated fish powder.

Attached Files:

4. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    good job awshucks

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I was checking out a storm drain on the Missouri yesterday and when I turned around in the slack water, I set off a huge explosion of jumping carp(they all looked to be better than 20lbs!) flying all around the boat. I ducked and gunned it to get back to the main channel, and when I turned around to look behind me, one jumped in front of the boat and landed right on top of the motor and bounced off of my rods in the rod holder. Got to be careful with these things in the water. I couldn't imagine getting hit by one of these things while up and on plane. Probably would knock you out of the boat!

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    SO why are they so bad?

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Johnny, it is my understanding that the vibrations or frequency of the motor in the water sets these fish off. They come busting up out of the water in a frenzy to get away from the vibrations/frequencies. They have been known to seriously injure boaters, their passangers, and small children. When you get hit by a 1 pound to sixty pound airborne fish, anything can happen. You get knocked out of the boat, you get flat knocked out and have a concussion, your senses are addled and you run aground or heaven forbid, into a tugboat pushing 60 barges. In addition to the damage to the humans, rods have been broken or knocked into the water. So, this species of fish is frowned upon for the above reasons. Then, when a non-native fish as the big head carp is introduced into new waters, something has got to give. The food chain will only supply so much, and a half pound skip jack is no match in eating with the big heads. They are just bad news.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx Lawrence that is a great response i had no idea these fish were like that.

9. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Sounds like if they are already in there there's not much you can do huh? Yet another imported fish problem.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i would love to know the secret to catching these things .
    i would target them just to help rid the waterways of them.
    ive heard that here in illinois the dnr (maybe) was harvesting thousands of these fish and maybe useing the carps for feed or bait? something useful.
    i will try and dig up the article and share it with you all.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have been seeing boaters around here (illinois) that are wearing helmets!!!
    i thought it silly at first but think of getting knocked unconsience
    with your boat underway and then it starts to look like maybe i am the silly
    one by not wearing one, especially with children on board.

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've heard of people on this very board that use steel trash can lids as a shield while their running down the river. :eek:oooh: I hope it never comes to this on our home waters.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sunday morning, while out on the Missouri River around Independence, there were three people in a jon boat running up and down the river then flying in behind the wing dams and doing circles trying to get the carp jumping. I was anchored on an outside bend when they came by me and went behind the wing dam across the river. They must have had at least a dozen jumping in and alongside the boat just behind the one wing dam! I personally am not fond of the things, and I'm sure not going to try to provoke them!
    My

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    My first experience with these fish was getting hit in the back while anchored and fishing. The carp landed in the boat, and I almost jumped in the water! This was three years ago, and the population is increasing. I sure don't want to hear about any fatalities connected to these fish. Hopefully somebody will come up with a solution to the spread of these fish. While surfing the web, I found an older article about them. http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/mn/112603_great_lakes.htm

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    keep an eye out in your throw net too. I caught one the other day that was 3" long. Made sure that one didn't go back in the water. Fed it to the racoons that plague me at night.