Beverages

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Whistler, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Catdaddy_64)

A refreshing summer favorite!

Ingredients:

1-1/2-liter bottle of dry red wine-burgundy, merlot, or the like (You can use the cheap stuff!)
    2/3 cup (160 milliliters) Splenda
    1/2 teaspoon orange extract
    1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
    1 orange
    1 lemon
    1 lime
    Orange- or lemon-flavored unsweetened sparkling water

Preparation:

Pour the wine into a nonreactive bowl. Stir in the Splenda and the extracts.

Now, you have to decide if you're going to serve your sangria from a punch bowl or put it into a clean old jug. Me, I put it in an old 1-gallon vinegar jug, but then, I was taking my sangria camping.

If you're going to put your sangria in a punch bowl, simply scrub your fruit and slice it as thin as humanly possible. Put it in the punch bowl with the wine/Splenda mixture and let the whole thing macerate for an hour or so before serving.

If you're using a jug, you'll need to cut your fruit into small chunks that will fit through the neck. Force the fruit into the jug, then pour the wine/Splenda mixture over it.

Again, let it macerate for at least an hour.

When the time comes to serve your sangria, fill a tall glass with ice, pour in 4 ounces (120 milliliters) of the wine mixture and fill to the top with lemon or orange-flavored sparkling water.

12 servings

6 grams of carbohydrate (assuming you actually eat all the fruit, which you won't-I'm figuring it's really between 4 and 5 grams), a trace of fiber, a trace of protein

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Catdaddy_64)

Mojito

- 2 oz rum
    - mint
    - superfine sugar
    - club soda
    - wedge of lime
    Muddle the mint with superfine sugar in a tall glass. Fill the glass with ice. Pour rum and club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge.

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Robert Gilvary(Bobpaul)

Here's an eggnog recipe.

8 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 pt heavy cream
    1pt milk
    5 oz rum
    8 oz rye

Seperate eggs. Beat the whites until stiff, gradually adding 1/4 cup of sugar while beating.

In a seperate bowl beat the yolks, and slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar while you continue to beat to dissolve the sugar.

Add cream, milk, rum, and rye, stirring until smooth.

Stir beaten eggwhites into the mixture, and place in the frige until completely chilled.

Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving. Makes 2 1/2 qts.

4. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I boil water in a medium siz pan bring it to a boil turn heat off drop four tea bags in let set for about 10 min. and in a four qt pitcher I put in 1 and a 1/4 cup of sugar then pour the tea from the pan in it stir in sugar the add the rest of the way with hot tap water

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

3 regular tea bags are one family size and 1.5 quarts water boil, to a one gallon jug add 1 cup honey (no comb) add boiling water, stir well. Fill jug with cold water and ice sit back and enjoy.

6. shelli davis

shelli davis New Member

State:
    missouri
    4 c. instant dry milk
    1 c. powdered suger
    6 oz. coffee-mate
    2 c. nestle quick
    mix well and store in can or jar add 1/3 c. of mix to mug of boiling water top with little marshmallows

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Everyone always raved about my grandmother's sweet tea, so here is her recipe.......

Gran's Sweet Tea
    2 family size Lipton tea bags
    2 1/2 - 3 qt. stainless steel bowl
    Teakettle (or saucepan)
    2 quarts water

Bring water to a boil, pour over teabags in stainless steel bowl. Let steep three minutes (four if you like stronger tea). Remove teabags, add two cups (yes, I said two cups) sugar and stir to dissolve. Let stand until partially cool, pour into pitcher and refrigerate. Serve over lots of ice.

This is SWEET TEA. I cut the sugar down to 1/3 of this amount when making tea myself.

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i put 8 orange and black pekote tea bags in 1 quart of cold water bring to a boil then turn it off drain tea bags in the pot add 1/4 cup of sugar to the hot tea and stir. Then i add about 1/2 gallon of ice to a 1 gallon jug pour the hot tea over the ice then fill the remander with cold water. then its ready to drink i dont like super sweet tea.

9. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here is my recipe for "It Don't Need No Sugar Tea" .

I make it in a glass half-gallon milk jug. Wash the jug out good, of course. And heat your water up. Put 5 teaspoons of loose Earl Grey tea. (I buy mine cheap in Kidron, Ohio, whenever I go through.) Get two Constant Comment tea bags and loop the tag ends over the handle.
    The water is hot enough when it burns your finger just enough to wave it in the air and say ouch. If you wave it in the air and cuss, the water is too hot. Pour the water in the jug slowly. When it's full, stick the two Constant Comment bags in there. Let sit for about 45 minutes. Get out the big bowl with the pouring lip on it. Lay a big mesh strainer across the bowl. Put a coffee filter in the strainer. Slowly pour your steeped tea through the filter into the bowl. Flush out the loose tea and rinse out the jug. Return the tea into the milk jug. Put the little plastic cap on and shove it in the fridge door.

I love sweet tea, but around the house I drink a ton of tea in the hot weather and don't need the sugar. The Constant Comment adds some sweet spicy taste to it. When I have fresh mint out back (and there's some left over from juleps) I add that to it instead of the Constant Comment. You can sweeten this tea if you like, but I have to say it doesn't take sugar as well as other teas.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Sittin' here drinkin' some hot chocolate......boy, it's good. Haven't had any made this way in a long time, and it's about the simplest thing in the world. I've tried a lot of different hot cocoas; most every mix in the store, and all kinds of homemade ones. I still think this tastes the best - just like my mama made.

Canned evaporated milk, diluted as instructed on can (regular vitamin D, gotta go with the fat here - the 2% and skim evaporated will NOT taste the same)

Nestle Nesquik Chocolate Flavor (regular or sugar-free)

For each good-sized mug of milk, you will need to add about 3 Tbsps. of Nesquik (or to taste). Add it before heating the milk, which can be done on the stovetop or in the microwave, and whisk/stir well to dissolve. I only make one mug at a time, takes approximately 2 minutes to get to the right temperature in my microwave. If you're making enough for multiple mugs, you're on your own as far as the microwaving goes. On the stovetop, heat over medium-low until it just reaches the scalding point, stirring occasionally; pour into mug(s) and enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.