Better round for snake shot?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If they even make snake shot for these rounds. I dont want to guy buy a new pistol just for snake defense so I want to choose between a 22, which is a Ruger 22/45 and a Kel Tec P-11. I dont/cant carry around a shotgun for this purpose as I wouldnt get a thang done doing so.

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    it has been a while since I bought any, but the last I bought was for a .45 and it did not feed very well. Good luck with this and watch where you step.:eek:oooh::wink:

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I think that I would stick to the .22 without the shot. I have tried snake loads in .22mag and .38 and found that you must be close to kill the snake fast. I am talking not more than 5 ft. I went back to solids. I have a friend that tried them in his .40, with similar results.

Jim

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The Super Comanche looks like a great gun for the .45//410 option, at a price of less than $160. If I were going to be traipsing around in snake country, I'd definitely have one of those.

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, that looks like it would get the job done!

I have wanted a single shot .410 pistol for years to carry on my riding mower for snakes!

http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/images/supercomanche.jpeg

Have you seen one of the Super Comanche guns up close? I can't make out the do-dads in and by the trigger guard?? Any idea what they might be?

Thanks,

PS: If anyone knows of a .380 snake shot bullet, I'd like to know what it is.

6. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    (PS: If anyone knows of a .380 snake shot bullet, I'd like to know what it is.)

Bill,
    My local gun shop has been unable to locate any shot loads for the .380- I wish they were available!
    Mark

7. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Taurus makes a .410 revolver called the Judge.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As far as I know federal,and winchester offer the crimped ratshot loads ,in 22lr,CCI offers both LR and Mag in 10 round packs with the plastic capsules,I have used em and theypattern good enough to 10 ft.cci also sells the shot capsules to handload the centerfire pistol rounds.[Speer]

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    We don't have many venomous snakes in immediate are here. A very small area of prarrie rattlers which could get you some jail time here if you kill them, and maybe an occasional copperhead (rarely). The only reason I kill snakes around here is for the skins, I can make a decent buck making hat bands and walking stick grips/decoration. Again state regulations comes into play. We also have a pretty decent variety of the kingsnake family which some people prize as pets, so I got to get them alive. I had a buddy down south that wanted a little help "cutting down" his snake population. Although not as convienient to carry, the most effective gun I used on them was my little coach gun, with super cheap skeet load. Left nothing but snake burger at the ranges you guys are talking about. If it is in an area where you can't shoot, He's got a pretty neat little piano wire loop pole which really cuts em' down to size.

Richard

10. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    During snake season, I keep my Taurus model 85 .38 special loaded with snake shot. It's a little snubbie, and it disperses that shot pretty wide, so you have to be pretty close. Snakes around here don't get all that large to begin with, and they can't strike much longer than their own body length, so getting close isn't too troubling.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I carry a snubby .45 LC while hiking, and have used the CCI snake loads in that. I haven't actually killed any rattlers, but, I killed a rabid beer bottle at about 20 paces, and was fairly impressed with the performance. later, I killed a viscious cottontail and it went down quicker than a blow out,, so, I have pretty good faith in the loads for 'nakes.

12. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've tried rat(snake) shot in a .22 and a 9mm and it's useless for the nasty slithering monsters we have down here. All it does is make them mad! I shot a small rattler from about 5' away and had to put three rounds of rat/snake to even make him stop moving. I finally went into the house and got the wife's .410 shotgun and put an end to that snakes moving around.

Here's an example of what we deal with:

P1020282.jpg

Rat/snake shot would have really made that one mad. Heck, it probably would have reached up, grabbed the pistol from my hand and smacked me with it!

Luckily my neighbor got it with a pair of .410 slugs before it made it into our yard.

Oh, and waste not:

P1020289.jpg

We ate the meat and I'll be tanning the hide soon. :wink:

- Marty -

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    nice snake marty

ive used 22 snake shot for bullfrog
    not sure id trust it on a big snake .

the 45 snakeshot should pack a punch .

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have lived in the South East USA for 63 years.I have never had a problem killing any snake with .22 lr rim fire Rat Shot "IF" you shoot them in the head.If you can not hit one in the head with Rat Shot,there is not much need to carry it.I have cut them in half with a shotgun and found them alive hours later.Unfortunately you can not always hit a snake in the head for many reasons.

Mambas due to speed,huge King Cobras and spitting Cobras are the only three Snake types that I am personally familiar with and know just a little of,that could be dangerous at 5 feet.All have been extremely rare on the loose in the USA.A measured 7 foot 1 inch horizontally measured Diamond Back can not strike 5 measured feet.It can come close enough to get you very excited.I know,as my father caught one when I was 12 in Naples Florida and sold it to the Everglades Wonder Gardens in Bonita Springs.I now leave all snakes alone,unless I think that they may pose a danger to a human or domestic animals.If needed,I try to relocate them if I can.

I hand loaded Speer 44 shot capsules with 7 1/2 shot.I like them.I have killed Rabbits up to about 20 feet and Squirrels at about 16.These are estimated distances.

You can buy CCI shot shells made for 45 auto.You could try a box of 10 to see.

I had the old FMJ 45/410 single and double barrel derringers and the .22 rf mini revolvers.I liked mine.I have small hands.I think it helped with them.I thought them all to be great defensive guns,but poor recreational shooting or hunting guns.I think the same about all small handguns.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I was out mowing down some heavy weeds by my pasture and noticed some rats running around, grabbed my High Standard derringer and dropped one a lot longer than I ever would have thought a .22 CCI shotshell would have reached.
    They aren't too bad to shoot in the chicken house either, like peewee said all you have to do is shoot them in the head, it stops them.

For the larger snakes I have a Judge, it's a hoot to shoot .410's through it, 265 grain .45 LC cowboy loads are really mild.

16. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I killed a nice rattler yesterday behind the house while bushhogging some deer hunting lanes, of course I wasn't carrying a gun with me at the time. I got off the tractor and broke off a green gum sapling about the size of your thumb and about three feet long and worked his head over with that. He wasn't a monster like we have killed here before but it had 14 rattlers and a button. I have killed more with green saplings than I have ever killed with a gun, so I guess my vote goes for a green sapling, lol.

17. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I broke down and invested in one of these for less than $200.00
    and have not regreted it. It is a fine handgun and I have relocated several bad snakes to snake heaven with it. it comes with 2 chokes, 1 for .45 cal and 1 for the .410 ga. it holds a very good pattern out to about 30 ft and up close you have to hold a little closer aim. My eyes are not as good as they used to be so I really like it for snakes around my property

18. Quack_Addict88

Quack_Addict88 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    CCI makes a round for .22 and many other calibers, its got a blue plastic cap on the end like where the bullet should be. i believe it is #12 shot. the only problem is that they may not cycle through very well in a semi auto..i always shot em out of a bolt action

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great now Im gonna have nightmares for a week after seeing that thing, thanks a lot. :embarassed: lol

20. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry Brian...how do you think WE feel knowing these things are running around on our property??:0a5:

- Marty -