Better late then never

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by littleman, May 27, 2009.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I finally got my garden planted. This year my garden is about 3x's its size from last year. My sons boy scout troop was looking for ways to raise money for summer camp and other activities. I volunteered to grow some things for them to sell at the local farmers market. I'm hoping they will at least be able to raise a little money.
    I cheated when I put my garden in. Before heading out to the field Thursday, about daylight I made a pass with the fertilizer spreader. Then that night as I was returning from the fields I made a few swipes with the disk. The next morning I hoped on the old 706 and hooked the old 4 row planter to it. A few swipes and I had my sweet corn planted.
    Except for the sweet corn, I grow all my veggies in black plastic. Its a pain to get it spread out and weighted down. But after that you don't have to weed or really mess with the garden. This year I was in the fields before sunup and way after sundown. So Chuck and the kids planted the rest of the garden after I got it fertilized and disked. They planted about 38 tomato plants, 10 hot and mild pepper plants, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, 5 different varieties of watermelons, 2 kinds muskmelons, and some honeydew melons. Altogether there are over 25 melon plants.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mercy! I gotta see pics of your soybean & field corn planted though the plastic. LOL

Actually, do post pics of your garden when ya can. Did you get all your fields done before the rain hit?

3. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Of all the fields I wanted to plant in corn, only one small one didn't get planted. It along with the other fields will be planted in beans. We still have a little time left to plant soy beans.
    I don't know about posting pictures of my garden. I have been looking at some of the pictures posted on here of some of the other members gardens. Man mine looks sooooooooo redneck compared to the other members.:smile2::tounge_out:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Redneck is a GOOD thing,Wait till I get my pics up :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats Tricia on getting the garden planted. Good luck to you.:006:

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with the rest of them, Tricia; I want to see pictures. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how it looks, but how it produces....and how much satisfaction you get from it. So....Good for you!:wink:

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    :embarassed: I have to admit that I messed my garden up.:roll_eyes:
    When I ran the disk through the garden, I had been in the fields from sun up until about 10:30PM. That night when I came back to the sheds and got out the little 706 tractor to disk the garden I was tired and in a very bad mood. I ran a little faster then I should have and made the garden a bumpy mess. What I should have done was slowed down and made another pass or two with the disk. Because the ground was so uneven, Chuck and the kids had to use twice the amount of weight to hold the plastic down. I feel bad for all the extra work they had to do.
    Here are a few pictures I took today. The first one is of the garden. I didn't take any of the corn. Right now there's not much to look at at since the corns not up. The second picture shows one of the seedless watermelon plants. I started the seedless watermelons indoors then transplanted them. The last picture shows where a muskmelon seed has been planted. We use little sticks to help hold the plastic back. That way the seed can sprout and won't be hurt if the plastic moves around a little.

Attached Files:

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We don't have many rocks up here,,,,,,, will empty beer bottles work as good as rocks????

Thanks for the pictures,,,, what is that ,,one big piece of plastic??

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Doesn't look that bad at all! I don't think it's a "bumpy mess". Quit being so hard on yourself. Gosh, I'm impressed that you did it all yourself!

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Its several sheets of plastic overlapped and laid out together. I have never tried beer bottles. I think with them being round that they would roll around. You can use fire wood to help hold the plastic down.