Better bait: bluegill or chub ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, May 30, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's the better LIVE bait for channels and flatheads; bluegill or creek chub ? For channels is it always better live or cut bait ? Cats are in the 3-10 lbs range, what's the best size ? -Thanks

2. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I always have good luck with chichen liver with channels
    some luck with night and alittle better with crawfish

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    for flats its hands down live gills; for channels, i prefer nightcrawlers, or stink bait.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My best LIVE baits are those that I catch at the water I am going to fish. That said for channels I like small bluegills and chubs up to about 4". For flatties I like either only Jumbo size. Chubs 9-12" and Bluegill eatin size.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive been using both lately, my best flathead so far this season came on a cut bluegill head. I lost a dandy in a snag the other night using a 12" live sucker.

6. jobiechillin

jobiechillin New Member

State:
    Pennsylvainia
    I take more flatties on gills and more channels on chubs , but have caught both on either one..... live, dead ...whole , cut or smashed . the key is to get it close to them and be patient. but I always start with live ones . chub on one pole gill on the other. happy fishin.

7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah I agree. Chubs seem to produce good channels and flats seem to like the gills. Then again fish in different bodies of water sometimes seem to want opposites at times so be flexible with your bait selection

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    if you have the ability to try both out blugills and chubs... then let the fish tell you... I can give you my guess but i haven't spoken to your fish, only mine... get out there and enjoy your time...

9. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've always had better luck with blue gill.To me ,creek chubs just ain't as hardy.For channels,I prefer wild nightcrawlers.[not Wally's]

10. kjcat

kjcat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I agree the flatty's love the gills. Has anyone use trout?

11. LanceRomance

LanceRomance New Member

State:
    IL
    Gills always work best for me. I would imagine that if the fish prefer a different type of bait at different times of the year that woud have to do with the natural availability of that baitfish in the catfish's ecosystem.

12. jobiechillin

jobiechillin New Member

State:
    Pennsylvainia
    Trout work well ,the smaller ones, dead or alive , flathead and channels both love them.

13. jobiechillin

jobiechillin New Member

State:
    Pennsylvainia
    sorry for some reason it posted twice.