Best worm farms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by heyop_erator, Jan 31, 2009.

1. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm looking to make a worm farm and want to raise big river worms. I'm tired of buying worms and thought someone on here might help with design,temp,moisture,ect.

2. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks but this is not for river worms or night crawlers.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well we have a spot for the crawlers here, which is nothing more than an old tractor tire buried level with fiberglass window screen at bottom to keep them from leaving. I just keep it filled with the lawn waste, garden waste, table scraps (veggies) more just like a compost pile, fill up a foam cooler every spring to keep in the fridge in the shed. Also use the commercial worm food you can get most any store like wally world. Works very well for the crawlers here in Il.. Good luck, not all that hard to do... Biggest thing I would say is just make sure you have in a cool shady spot that is WELL drained.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do you also have a cover over the tire? To keep them from crawling out ?
    Good ideal. I have 2 rice and cane tires that are about 6ft tall. Know where there going in a few weeks.
    Pete

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    No, I guess a few may sneak out, never really seen any on the sides though..... I don't keep them full completely to their top so I think that keeps them from crawling out over the top. and Yes them rice tires will make for some nice ones. and Yes them rice tires will make for some nice ones, been waiting on the local FS to toss out some of the floaters off one of the field sprayers to make another one. Make it nice in the summer months to have them on hand, little water from the old well from time to time when it gets dry, beats them $3 a dozen for them Canadian shorties.....

6. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks a lot and I'll be diggin' holes for the tires,as soon as it thaws out here!

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just make sure that you use a big enough tire to get you to the frost line for your area is all you really need to worry about.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Shoot glad were in a spot that more or less has no frost line. LOL place a water line 6" deep and its not going to freeze for the most parts. So should be good here just laying them on top of the ground.
    Pete

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep, I don't (or haven't) had any problems here, just set mine ground level for "mowing" around ya know :wink: